MEN'S TENNIS DEFEATS EASTERN WASHINGTON, 4-0, TO WIN BIG SKY TITLE
GOLD RIVER, Calif. — The Sacramento State men’s tennis team defeated Eastern Washington, 4-0, to win its seventh Big Sky Conference title, Sunday at Gold River Racquet Club.
The Hornets improved to 19-6 overall and stayed unbeaten during the year against Big Sky opponents (10-0). The team also captured the conference’s automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament. Eastern Washington completed its season with an 18-9 record.
Sacramento State won the doubles point with victories at Nos. 2 and 3. Holden Ching and Marko Stacevic defeated Panhara Man and Daniel Pez, 8-4, at No. 2 for the first win. The pair of Jason Smith and Artur Klimenka then clinched the point with an 8-5 win over Art Karas and Julian Sanchez at No. 3.
In singles play, Klimenka recorded a quick 6-1, 6-1 win over Pez at No. 6 to give the Hornets a 2-0 advantage. Smith posted the third point shortly after with a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Man at No. 2.
The remaining four matches played much closer. At No. 1, Kiryl Harbatsiuk overcame a 5-2 first set deficit against Nico Riego de Dios to win 7-5. Harbatsiuk continued his momentum in the second set with a 6-2 win which ended the match.
The three unfinished singles matches were all close. Anton Stryhas led Karas, 6-4, 4-2, at No. 3. Kyle Schrader earned a 6-1 first-set win over Marko Starevic at No. 4. However, Starcevic led the second set, 6-5, when play has halted. EWU also led in the No. 5 match where Sanchez held a 6-4, 5-6 lead over Ching.
SACRAMENTO STATE 4, EASTERN WASHINGTON 0
Big Sky Conference Men’s Tennis Championship
Gold River Racquet Club
1. Anton Stryhas/Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) led Nico Riego de Dios/Kyle Schraeder, 6-3
2. Marko Starcevic/Holden Ching (SAC) def. Panhara Man/Daniel Pez, 8-4
3. Jason Smith/Artur Klimenka (SAC) def. Art Karas/Julian Sanchez, 8-5
1. Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) def. Nico Riego de Dios, 7-5, 6-2
2. Jason Smith (SAC) def. Panhara Man, 6-0, 6-2
3. Anton Stryhas (SAC) led Art Karas, 6-4, 4-2
4. Kyle Schraeder (EWU) led Marko Starcevic, 6-1, 5-6
5. Julian Sanchez (EWU) led Holden Ching, 6-4, 5-6
6. Artur Klimenka (SAC) def. Daniel Pez, 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish
Doubles: 2, 1 Singles: 6, 2, 1