MEN'S TENNIS SWEEPS MONTANA; WILL FACE EWU IN FINALS REMATCH
GOLD RIVER, Calif. — The Sacramento State men’s tennis team kept its unbeaten streak against Big Sky Conference opponents alive with a 4-0 win over Montana in the semifinals of the Big Sky Championships on Saturday. With the win, the Hornets are now 9-0 against conference foes in 2009 and will advance to Sunday’s championships to face Eastern Washington in a rematch of last year’s final. Overall, Sacramento State are 18-6 and have won nine of their last 10 matches.
On Saturday, the Hornets quickly jumped to a 1-0 lead behind a pair of doubles wins. Holden Ching and Marko Starcevic combined to defeated Felipe Raw and Raydner Ramos, 8-2, at No. 2. Sacramento State then clinched the doubles point when Jason Smith and Artur Klimenka downed Colin Dektar and David Cysneiros, 8-5, at No. 3. The No. 1 match was halted with Anton Stryhas and Kiryl Harbatsiuk holding a 6-4 lead.
In singles play, Smith struck first with a 6-0, 6-2, win over Mikolaj Borkowski at No. 2. The Hornets then moved ahead, 3-0, when Harbatsiuk defeated Dektar, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 1. The final point came from Starcevic who bettered Ray, 6-3, 6-0, at No. 4.
Sacramento State will be in search of its fifth Big Sky title since 2002 on Sunday. Last season, EWU upset the top-seeded Hornets, 4-3, to earn the automatic berth to the NCAA Tournament. This season, the Hornets defeated the Eagles, 7-0, in a regular-season match in Cheney, Wash. Sunday’s final will begin at 10 a.m. at the Gold River Racquet Club. The men’s final will be followed by the women’s championship at 2 p.m. Admission is free.
Sacramento State 4, Montana 0
1. Anton Stryhas/Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) led Mikolaj Borkowski/Carl Kuschke, 6-4
2. Holden Ching/Marko Starcevic (SAC) def. Felipe Raw/Raydner Ramos, 8-2
3. Jason Smith/Artur Klimenka (SAC) def. Coldin Dektar/David Cysneiros, 8-5
1. Harbatsiuk (SAC) def. Dektar, 6-1, 6-3
2. Smith (SAC) def. Borkowski, 6-0, 6-2
3. Stryhas (SAC) led Ramos, 6-2, 2-3
4. Marko Starcevic (SAC)) def. Raw, 6-3, 6-0
5. Carl Kuschke (UM) led Holden Ching, 7-5, 1-1
6. Artur Klimenka (SAC) led David Cysneiros, 7-5, 3-1
Order of finish
Doubles: 2, 3 Singles: 2, 1, 4