MENâ€™S TENNIS IMPROVES TO 5-0 IN THE BIG SKY WITH VICTORY OVER MONTANA
GOLD RIVER, Calif. – Sacramento State receives singles victories from Kiryl Harbatsiuk, Anton Stryhas, Jason Smith, Marko Starcevic, Holden Ching and Artur Klimenka to remain undefeated in the Big Sky Conference and sweep past Montana, 7-0, in a men’s tennis match Monday afternoon at the Spare Time Indoor Tennis Center.
The win was the Hornets’ 11th in the last 12 matches as they improved their record to 12-6 overall and 5-0 in conference play. The Grizzlies dropped to 5-6 overall and 1-2 in the Big Sky. Sacramento State has now defeated all five of its conference opponents thus far by 6-1 or 7-0 scores.
Stryhas extended his season-best winning streak to nine consecutive singles victories despite an injury that kept him from the lineup last weekend against Ball State. Stryhas defeated Mikolai Borkowski, 4-6, 6-2, and 10-5 in the super tiebreaker. Smith also picked up where he left off as the reigning Big Sky Player of the Week made short work of Raydner Ramos, 6-1, 6-1.
The Hornets also got wins from Harbatsiuk (7-5, 6-2 at No. 1), Starcevic (6-2, 6-0 at No. 4), Ching (6-2, 6-1 at No. 5), and Klimenka (6-1, 5-7, 10-5 at No. 6).
On the doubles side, the tandem of Stryhas and Harbatsiuk defeated Borkowski and Kuschke, 8-4. The point-clinching win came at No. 3 where Smith and Klimenka beat Colin Dektar and David Cysneiros in a highly competitive match, 9-8 (7).
The Hornets travel to Santa Clara tomorrow (4 p.m.) before a road doubleheader on April 2 against Big Sky opponents Weber State and Idaho State.
Montana vs Sacramento State
Mar 30, 2009 at Gold River, Calif.
(Spare Time Indoor Tennis Center)
Sacramento State 7, Montana 0
1. HARBATSIUK, Kiryl (SAC) def. DEKTAR, Colin (UM) 7-5, 6-2
2. STRYHAS, Anton (SAC) def. BORKOWSKI, Mikolai (UM) 4-6, 6-2, 10-5
3. SMITH, Jason (SAC) def. RAMOS, Raydner (UM) 6-1, 6-1
4. STARCEVIC, Marko (SAC) def. RAW, Felipe (UM) 6-2, 6-0
5. CHING, Holden (SAC) def. KUSCHKE, Carl (UM) 6-2, 6-1
6. KLIMENKA, Artur (SAC) def. CYSNEIROS, David (UM) 6-1, 5-7, 10-5
1. STRYHAS, Anton/HARBATSIUK, Kiryl (SAC) def. BORKOWSKI, Mikolaj/
KUSCHKE, Carl (UM) 8-4
2. RAMOS, Raydner/RAW, Felipe (UM) def. CHING, Holden/STARCEVIC,
Marko (SAC) 9-8 (9-7)
3. SMITH, Jason/KLIMENKA, Artur (SAC) def. DEKTAR, Colin/CYSNEIROS,
David (UM) 9-8 (9-7)
Montana 5-6, 1-2
Sacramento State 12-5, 5-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,4,5,2,1,6)