MEN'S TENNIS DOWNS NORTHERN COLORADO, 6-1, TO PUSH WINNING STREAK TO EIGHT
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The Sacramento State men's tennis team extended its winning streak to eight consecutive matches with a 6-1 win over Northern Colorado on Monday at Rio Del Oro Raquet Club. The Hornets improved to 9-4 overall and 4-0 in Big Sky Conference action. Northern Colorado dropped to 2-14 overall and 1-6 in conference games.
Sacramento State opened the match by cruising to three doubles victories. Jason Smith and Artur Klimenka posted the first win with an 8-1 decision at No. 2 doubles. Holden Ching and Marko Starcevic sealed the point for the Hornets with an 8-4 victory at No. 1. The final match was won by Joe DeGuzman and Jimmy Roberts, 8-2.
In singles play, Sacramento State played without the services of reigning Big Sky MVP Anton Stryhas. The loss did not hinder the team's efforts as the Hornets won five matches in straight sets while only losing one three-set match. Smith and Starcevic were each dominant in their match, blanking their opponent, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 3 and No. 4, respectively.
Harbatsiuk made the score 4-0 with a 7-5, 6-1 win at No. 1 over Calx Van Lier to guarantee victory for Sacramento State. The Minsk, Belarus, native also pushed his winning streak to eight straight matches. The team's momentum continued when Roberts downed Andre Lepine, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 6. In all, the Hornets lost just 14 of the 61 games in the five singles matches that they won.
Northern Colorado's lone point came at No. 2 singles where Adam Perez defeated Ching. Perez overcame a 6-2 loss in the first set to win the match (2-6, 6-0, 6-2).
Sacramento State will have the next 11 days off before competing at the Boise State Invitational beginning on March 27.
Sacramento State 6, Northern Colorado 1
1. Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) def. Calix Van Lier (NC) 7-5, 6-1
2. Adam Perez (NC) def. Holden Ching (SAC) 2-6, 6-0, 6-2
3. Jason Smith (SAC) def. Jordan Boecker (NC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Marko Starcevic (SAC) def. Clay Mundell (NC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Artur Klimenka (SAC) def. Andy Green (NC) 6-2, 6-4
6. Jimmy Roberts (SAC) def. Andre Lepine (NC) 6-2, 6-0
1. Ching/Starcevic (SAC) def. Perez/Van Lier (NC) 8-4
2. Smith/Klimenka (SAC) def. Green/Boecker (NC) 8-1
3. Joe DeGuzman/Roberts (SAC) def. Lepine/Mundell (NC) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,4,1,5,6,2)