MENâ€™S TENNIS CONTINUES DOMINANCE OF THE BIG SKY WITH 5-2 WIN OVER MONTANA STATE
BOZEMAN, Mont. -- Freshmen Kiryl Harbatsiuk and Artur Klimenka, sophomore Anton Stryhas and junior Sven-David Rueff were each victorious in singles play to lead Sacramento State to a 5-2 victory over Montana State in a Big Sky Conference men’s tennis match Saturday afternoon at the Bobcat-Anderson Tennis Center.
With the victory, the Hornets won their fifth in a row and improved to 10-7 overall and 4-0 in the Big Sky. Sacramento State has won all four conference matches this season by scores of 5-2, 6-1, or 7-0. The team is looking to win its second consecutive Big Sky championship.
With the loss, Montana State dropped to 6-10 overall and 1-2 in the conference.
Sacramento State began the match by claiming the doubles point as the No. 2 tandem of Klimenka/Rueff (9-8) and Holden Ching/Ronan Conlon (8-4) were each victorious.
In singles play, Stryhas (6-4, 6-3 at No. 1) and Harbatsiuk (6-2, 6-3 at No. 2) won their matches in straight sets. Klimenka won at No. 3 by the score of 1-6, 6-4, 6-3 and Rueff won his match at No. 5 by the score of 3-6, 6-4, and 10-4 in the super tiebreaker to close out the Hornet scoring.
Stryhas continues to build on what has become one of the more impressive seasons in Sacramento State history. The sophomore from Minsk, Belarus, has now won 14 consecutive singles matches and is 16-1 this season, including 5-0 at No. 1, 10-1 at No. 2, and 1-0 at No. 3.
Rueff improved his singles winning streak to six straight, while Harbatsiuk and Klimenka have each won five consecutive singles matches.
Today marked the final of 12 straight matches the Hornets have played on the road. The team will finally return home this week when it takes on Eastern Washington on Friday, March 28, at 1 p.m. at Rio Del Oro Racquet Club. The Hornets will then play a doubleheader on Saturday, March 29, at Rio Del Oro against Weber State (10 a.m.) and Idaho State (2 p.m.).
Sacrametno State 5, Montana State 2
1. Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. Kyle McDonald (MSUM) 6-4, 6-3
2. Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) def. Jakub Dybala (MSUM) 6-2, 6-3
3. Artur Klimenka (SAC) def. Pawel Turzanski (MSUM) 1-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Fletcher Keyes (MSUM) def. Holden Ching (SAC) 6-1, 6-4
5. Sven-David Rueff (SAC) def. Justin Hauck (MSUM) 3-6, 6-4, 10-4
6. Esteban Ferrero (MSUM) def. Ronan Conlon (SAC) 6-1, 6-2
1. Jakub Dybala/Kyle McDonald (MSUM) def. Anton Stryhas/Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) 8-4
2. Artur Klimenka/Sven-David Rueff (SAC) def. Pawel Turzanski/Fletcher Keyes (MSUM)
3. Holden Ching/Ronan Conlon (SAC) def. Justin Hauck/Esteban Ferrero (MSUM) 8-4