MEN'S TENNIS STAYS UNBEATEN IN BIG SKY PLAY WITH 5-2 WIN OVER MONTANA
MISSOULA, Mont. — The Sacramento State men's tennis team won each of the five singles matches it played to lead the team to a 5-2 win over Montana, Friday afternoon at the former Missoula Athletic Club's tennis bubble. The Hornets remained unbeaten in Big Sky Conference play with a 3-0 record and improved to 9-7 overall. The Grizzlies dropped to 3-2 overall and 1-1 in league action.
Montana took a 1-0 lead following doubles play. Sacramento State was able to record a win at No. 1 when Anton Stryhas and Kiryl Harbatsiuk defeated Colin Dektar and Alexandre Gorj, 8-4. However, the Grizzlies took the point with an 8-5 win at No. 2 from Felipe Raw and Raydner Ramos and a win by default at No. 3. The Hornets were unable to compete in the match due to an injury to Ronan Conlon.
In singles action, Stryhas evened the match with a 6-3, 6-3, victory over Dektar at No. 1. Sacramento State then took the lead for good when Artur Klimenka defeated Mikolah Borkowski, 6-2, 7-6, at No. 3. Harbatsiuk kept the momentum rolling with a straight sets (6-2, 6-3) win over Raw at No. 2 to give the team a 3-1 edge.
Sven-David Rueff then clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Gorj at No. 5. The most competitive singles match came at No. 4 where Holden Ching and Ramos split the opening two sets. Ching captured the first set, 7-5, before Ramos evened the match with a 6-4 victory in the second. Due to the fact that the team score had already been determined the the match was decided by a tie-breaker in which Ching won, 10-6.
Montana's lone singles point came at No. 6 where Conlon defaulted to David Cysneiros.
Sacramento State will next be in action on Saturday, March 22, when it travels to Bozeman, Mont., to take on Montana State.
Sacramento State 5, Montana 2
1. Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. Colin Dektar (UM) 6-3, 6-3
2. Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) def. Felipe Raw (UM) 6-2, 6-3
3. Artur Klimenka (SAC) def. Mikolaj Borkowski (UM) 6-2, 7-6 (3)
4. Holden Ching (SAC) def. Raydner Ramos (UM) 7-5, 4-6, (10-6)
5. Sven-David Rueff (SAC) def. Alexandre Gorj (UM) 6-3, 6-4
6. David Cysneiros (UM) def. Ronan Conlon (SAC), by default
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2, 5, 4
1. Anton Stryhas/Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) def. Colin Dektar/Alexandre Gorj (UM) 8-4
2. Felipe Raw/Raydner Ramos (UM) def. Artur Klimenka/Sven-David Rueff (SAC) 8-5
3. Mikolaj Borkowski/David Cysneiros (UM) def. Holden Ching/Ronan Conlon (SAC), by default
Sacramento State 9-7, 3-0 BSC
Montana 3-2, 1-1 BSC