MEN'S TENNIS DROPS 4-3 DECISION TO NO. 58 NEW MEXICO
ALBUQUERQUE. N.M. – The Sacramento State men’s tennis team fell to No. 58 New Mexico by a score of 4-3 on Wednesday, February 27 at the Lobo Tennis Club.
With the loss, the Hornets fall to 4-3 on the season, while the Lobos improve to 6-5.
New Mexico took the doubles point after collecting wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions consecutively. The Hornets did take some momentum into singles play, as the final doubles match to finish was at the No. 3 position, where the duo of freshman Artur Klimenka and junior Sven-David Rueff collected a hard fought 8-7 victory, winning the tiebreak by a score of 7-4.
In singles action, the Hornets and Lobos each took home three victories, but the Lobos posted the first three points, winning the bottom three singles positions to pick up the victory. The Hornets, however, had many highlights in singles action, as they swept the top three singles positions. Freshman Kiryl Harbatsiuk upset No. 39 ranked Max Jones at the No. 1 singles position, winning a hard fought three set match 7-6 (7-4), 2-6, 6-4. Sophomore Anton Stryhas also picked up an upset victory at No. 2 singles, as he defeated No. 91 ranked Johnny Parkes. Stryhas was up 7-5, 3-0 when Parkes retired. Rounding out the wins for the Hornets, Klimenka downed Miles Bugby at No. 3 singles 5-7, 6-2, 6-1.
With his win at No. 1 singles, Harbatsiuk, who is the reigning Big Sky Player of the Week, extended his winning streak to three matches, and improved his record to 6-1. Stryhas also improved his spring record to 6-1, which includes a 5-1 mark at the No. 2 singles position.
The Hornets are back in action on Friday, February 29, as they take on New Mexico State in Las Cruces N.M. at 1 p.m. The match will mark the first of three straight matches played in Las Cruces, as Sacramento State will clash with UT Arlington on Saturday and Utah on Sunday.
No. 58 New Mexico 4, Sacramento State 3
February 27, 2008
1. No. 45 Max Jones/Kamil Pajkowski (NM) def. Anton Stryhas/Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) 8-4
2. Johnny Parkes/Chris Parkes (NM) def. Holden Ching/Ronan Conlon (SAC) 8-4
3. Artur Klimenka/Sven-David Rueff (SAC) def. Graeme Kassauzki/Joe Wood (NM) 8-7 (7-4)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) def. No. 39 Max Jones (NM) 7-6 (7-4), 2-6, 6-4
2. Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. No. 91 Johnny Parkes (NM) 7-5, 3-0 ret.
3. Artur Klimenka (SAC) def. Miles Bugby (NM) 5-7, 6-2, 6-1
4. Graeme Kassautzki (NM) def. Holden Ching (SAC) 7-5, 6-1
5. Chris Parkes (NM) def. Sven-David Rueff (SAC) 6-3, 6-1
6. Kamil Pajkowski (NM) def. Ronan Conlon (SAC) 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 5, 2, 3, 1