MENâ€™S TENNIS SPLITS A PAIR OF MATCHES IN FIRST DAY OF THE BOISE STATE TOURNAMENT
BOISE, Idaho -- The Sacramento State men’s tennis team split its first two matches of the Boise State Spring Break Tournament today, defeating UC Santa Cruz, 5-1, and falling to 19th-ranked Boise State, 6-0, at the Boise Tennis Complex.
This morning’s victory against UC Santa Cruz, who is the top ranked team in the Div. III ranks and just won the NCAA Div. III indoor national championship, extended the Hornets’ winning streak to eight-straight matches. However, that winning streak came to a close in the afternoon when the team fell to host Boise State, who is currently ranked 19th in the nation.
Today’s matches continued a torrid stretch that has seen Sacramento State play six matches over the last seven days. The Hornets are 5-1 over that stretch, including victories over four Big Sky Conference teams. Sacramento State will now get a well deserved day off before resuming tournament play on Friday against nationally ranked Central Florida at 1:30 p.m.
Sacramento State is now 12-4 this season while Boise State improved to 19-5 and UC Santa Cruz dropped to 10-5.
The doubles competitions were not played in either match today for the Hornets.
Sacramento State won five of the six singles matches against UC Santa Cruz, including Anton Stryhas (6-3, 6-2), Gabriel Loredo (6-2, 6-1), Ramon Perez (7-6, 6-3) and Tim Lantin (6-3, 6-3) each winning in straight sets. Perez played in the No. 4 spot for the first time all season after primarily playing at No. 5, while Stryhas was inserted at No. 1 singles for the third time this year.
Against Boise State, the Hornets kept things close in three of the six matches, as Warwick Foy lost in a super tiebreaker third set. Xavier Barajas-Smith played the 13th ranked player in the nation (Luke Shields) and fell 6-3, 7-6 (9-7). Perez fell at No. 4 by the score of 6-4, 7-6 (4).
Depending upon the outcome of Friday’s match against Central Florida, the Hornets will play again on Saturday at either 9 a.m. or 1:30 p.m.
Sacramento State 5, UC Santa Cruz 1
No doubles were played
1. Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. Matt Seeberger (UCSC), 6-3, 6-2
2. Xavier Barajas-Smith (SAC) def. Jared Kamel (UCSC), 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
3. Gabriel Loredo (SAC) def. Jeffrey Fong (UCSC), 6-2, 6-1
4. Ramon Perez (SAC) def. Max Ortiz (UCSC), 7-6 (3), 6-3
5. Bryan Pybas (UCSC) def. Warwick Foy (SAC), 6-3, 7-6 (4)
6. Tim Lantin (SAC) def. Alexander Villalobos (UCSC), 6-3, 6-3
#19 Boise State 6, Sacramento State 0
No doubles were played
1. #13 Luke Shields (BSU) def. Xavier Barajas-Smith (SAC), 6-3, 7-6 (9-7)
2. #70 Clancy Shields (BSU) def. Anton Stryhas (SAC), 6-0, 6-3
3. Blake Boswell (BSU) def. Gabriel Loredo (SAC), 6-4, 6-1
4. Piotr Dilaj (BSU) def. Ramon Perez (SAC), 6-4, 7-6 (6)
5. Eric Roberson (BSU) def. Warwick Foy (SAC), 2-6, 6-3, 10-4
6. Brent Werbeck (BSU) def. Tim Lantin (SAC), 6-2, 6-2