MENâ€™S TENNIS CONTINUES TO ROLL, BEATS MONTANA STATE FOR FIFTH STRAIGHT WIN
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Sacramento State continued its season long four match homestand in impressive fashion, knocking off defending Big Sky Conference champion Montana State, 6-1, in a men’s tennis match Friday afternoon at the Rio Del Oro Racquet Club.
The Hornets have now won a season-high five matches in a row and nine of their last 10. The team improved to 9-3 overall and 5-0 in the Big Sky. Sacramento State, which defeated Northern Colorado yesterday by the score of 7-0, is in the midst of a four-match homestand that will see the team play four Big Sky opponents over five days. The team will also host Northern Arizona (March 25) and Montana (March 26) to close out the homestand.
With the loss, Montana State dropped to 4-11 overall and 1-3 in the Big Sky.
Senior Gabriel Loredo and freshman Anton Stryhas each improved to 10-2 in singles play this season, while freshman Tim Lantin improved his mark to 8-2. The Hornets won five of the six singles matches today with Loredo, Lantin, Warwick Foy and Ramon Perez each winning in straight sets. Stryhas split his first two sets before outlasting Montana State’s Kyle McDonald, 17-15, in a super tiebreaker.
Freshman Xavier Barajas-Smith, who plays No. 1 for the Hornets, lost for just the second time all season, falling to Jakob Dybala, 7-6 (5), 6-4. Barajas-Smith is now 9-2 in singles play, while Foy improved to 9-3 and Perez 7-1.
The Hornets won all three doubles matches to gain the doubles point.
Sacramento State 6, Montana State 1
1. Loredo/Stryhas (SAC) def. Dybala/McDonald (MSU), 9-8 (6)
2. Barajas-Smith/Hague Van Dillen (SAC) def. Kovas/Perkins (MSU), 8-1
3. Foy/Perez (SAC) def. Hauck/Leonenko (MSU), 8-2
1. Jakob Dybala (MSU) def. Xavier Barajas-Smith (SAC), 7-6 (5), 6-4
2. Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. Kyle McDonald (MSU), 4-6, 6-1, 17-15
3. Gabriel Loredo (SAC) def. Anton Leonenko (MSU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Warwick Foy (SAC) def. Justin Hauck (MSU), 6-1, 6-4
5. Ramon Perez (SAC) def. David Kovas (MSU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Tim Lantin (SAC) def. Igor Vuckovic (MSU), 6-4, 6-0