SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. --- Gabriel Loredo defeated Matt Baca in three sets at No. 2 for the only victory for the Sacramento State men''s tennis team on Saturday at Cal Poly. The host Mustangs captured the other five singles matches as well as all three doubles contests to win, 6-1.
The match was the final competition for the Hornets before the Big Sky Conference Tournament. The winner of the Big Sky Tournament will receive an automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament.
Cal Poly had little trouble in all three doubles matches. John Nguyen and Van Linge defeated Junaid Hossain and Loredo, 8-4, at No. 1. Fred Dewitte and Matt Baca beat Warwick Foy and Ramon Perez, 8-3, at No. 2 and Kyle Roybal and Darryn Young defeated Hague Van Dillen and Paul Komorniczak, 8-4, at No. 3.
In singles play, Nguyen pulled out a close 7-6, 6-4 win over Hossain at the top spot in the ladder. Loredo rallied for a 3-6, 6-4, 10-8 win at No. 2 over Baca. The next three matches in the order were all decidied in straight sets. Dewitte beat Foy, 6-1, 6-2; Roybal downed Thomas Morton, 6-3, 6-0; and Aaron Elbert defeated Ramon Perez. 6-2, 7-6. Van Dillen won the first set at No. 6 but was eventually overcome by Young, 5-7, 6-1, 10-3.
1. John Nguyen (CP) defeated Junaid Hossain (SAC) 7-6, 6-4
2. Gabriel Loredo (SAC) defeated Matt Baca (CP) 6-3, 4-6, 8-10
3. Fred Dewitte (CP) defeated Warwick Foy (SAC) 6-1, 6-2
4. Kyle Roybal (CP) defeated Thomas Morton (SAC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Aaron Elbert (CP) defeated Ramon Perez (SAC) 6-2, 7-6
6. Darryn Young (CP) defeated Hague Van Dillen (SAC) 5-7, 6-1, 10-3
1. Nguyen/Van Linge (CP) defeated Hossain/Loredo (SAC) 8-4
2. Dewitte/Baca (CP) defeated Foy/Perez (SAC) 8-3
3. Roybal/Young (CP) defeated Van Dillen/Paul Komorniczak (SAC) 8-4