SACRAMENTO, Calif. --- The Sacramento State menâ€™s tennis team improved above .500 for the first time this season with a 7-0 victory over Weber State, Friday afternoon at Rio Del Oro Racquet Club. The victory improved the Hornets to 4-3 on the year and gave the squad its second consecutive victory.
The Hornets took the doubles point as all three matches were easily decided. Junaid Hossain and Gabriel Loredo recorded an 8-5 victory at No. 1. Ramon Perez and Warwick Foy teamed at No. 2 for an 8-2 win and Hague Van Dillen and Paul Komorniczak won 8-4 at No. 3.
Sacramento State completed the sweep with six straight-set victories in singles play. Hossain defeated Sascha Kiehne, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 1 to improve to 5-2 on the season. Loredo knocked off Fabio Mancarella, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 2. Foy downed Mathis Saberon, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 3. Van Dillen improved his record to 2-0 at No. 4 with a 6-4, 6-2, win over Zach Rideout.
The closest match in singles play came at No. 5 where Ramon Perez defeated Chris Williams, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5). Morton picked up his victory of the season with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Trevor Thompson.
Sacramento State will have little time off between matches as the team will host UC Davis at 1 p.m. on Saturday at Rio Del Oro.
Sacramento State 7, Weber State 0
1. Hossain/Loredo (SAC) def. Kiehne/Mancarella, 8-5
2. Perez/Foy (SAC) def. Saberon/Thompson, 8-2
3. Van Dillen/Komorniczak (SAC) def. Rideout/Paterson, 8-4
1. Junaid Hossain (SAC) def. Sascha Kiehne, 6-2, 6-0
2. Gabriel Loredo (SAC) def. Fabio Mancarella, 6-1, 6-0
3. Warwick Foy (SAC) def. Mathis Saberon, 6-3, 6-1
4. Hague Van Dillen (SAC) def. Zach Rideout, 6-4, 6-2
5. Ramon Perez (SAC) def. Chris Williams, 6-2, 7-6 (5)
6. Thomas Morton (SAC) def. Trevor Thompson, 6-1, 6-0