PORTLAND, Ore. -- The Sacramento State women''s tennis team won its second-consecutive Big Sky Conference Championship with a close victory over Northern Arizona on Sunday, 4-3. This win gives the Hornets an automatic bid to the NCAA Championships, which will take place May 11-12 and marks the second-consecutive appearance in the tournament for the Sacramento State women. The Hornets, ranked 69th in the nation, improved their record to 16-7 overall, 3-0 in the Big Sky Conference. The victory marked the second-consecutive year that Sacramento State has defeated Northern Arizona to claim the Big Sky Conference title.
2003 Big Sky Conference Champions
Sacramento State dominated singles play as four of the six of the Hornets came away with a point. Sophomore Roberta Fessenko defeated Kristen Balk (7-5, 6-2), junior Ann Roslund defeated Christina Kloknis (7-6(7-2), 6-0), sophomore Amanda Sanches defeated Ashley Dille (5-7, 6-2, 6-2), and sophomore Cristina Rivieccio defeated Katie Schurr (2-6, 6-3, 6-4). Junior Petra Abraham was defeated by Lumberjack Karen Kmiec (6-2, 6-4).
Freshman Margarita Karnaukhova, currently ranked 61st in the nation, forfeited her match due to a strained back. Her status is day-to-day.
The Hornets lost the doubles point to Northern Arizona. Karnaukhova and Roslund paired up for the only Sacramento State win over Klompmaker and Kmiec, 8-3. The Hornet tandem of Fessenko/Sanches lost to Balk/Dille (8-5), and Abraham/Rivieccio lost to Schurr/Kloknis (8-4).
The Hornets will qualify for an automatic bid to the NCAA Regional Championships on May 9-11.
Sacramento State 4, Northern Arizona 3
1. Marjolein Klompmaker (NAU) def Margarita Karnaukhova (SAC), 6-4, Injury forfeit
2. Roberta Fessenko (SAC) def. Kristen Balk (NAU), 7-5, 6-2
3. Ann Roslund (SAC) def. Christina Klokinis (NAU), 7-6 (7-2), 6-0
4. Karen Kmiec (NAU) def. petra Abraham (SAC), 6-2, 6-4
5. Amanda Sanches (SAC) def. Askley Dille (SAC), 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
6. Christina Rivieccio (SAC) def. Katie Schurr (NAU), 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
1. Karnaukhova/Roslund (SAC) def. Klompmaker/Kmiec (NAU), 8-3
2. Balk/Dille (NAU) def. Fessenko/Sanches (SAC), 8-5
3. Schurr/Klokinis (NAU) def. Abraham/Rivieccio (SAC), 8-4