SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Sacramento State added a victory to its postseason record with the defeat of Northern Arizona, 5-2, the No. 2 seed in the Big Sky Conference. This improved the Hornets'' postseason record to 2-0 and overall record to 17-3.
Junior Marta Gronowicz
Sacramento State dominated singles play as four of the six of the Hornets came away with a point. Marta Gronowicz, Roberta Fessenko, Amanda Sanches and Christina Rivieccio all scored for Sacramento State. Freshman Amanda Sanches continued her winning streak of six matches to improve her overall record to 18-2.
The Hornets controlled doubles play as the duo of Lundqvuist/Gronowicz defeated Yvonne de Waal and Kathy Kmiec. Petra Abraham and Amanda Sanches paired up to defeat the Lumberjack duo of Kirsten Balk and Karen Kmiec to win the doubles point.
In earlier action, Weber State swept every set against Portland State for the victory, 7-0.
Sacramento State looks on towards Portland State, on Sunday, April 14 at Rio Del Oro Racquet Club for day three of the Big Sky Pacific Regionals at 2 p.m.
Sacramento State 5, Northern Arizona 2
1. Gabriella Lundqvist (SAC) def. Yvonne de Waal (NAU) 7-5, 7-5
2. Marta Gronowicz (SAC) def. Kirsten Balk (NAU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Roberta Fessenko(SAC) def. Kathy Kmiec (NAU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Petra Abraham (SAC) def. Karen Kmiec (NAU) 6-2, 5-7, 7-6
5. Amanda Sanches (SAC) def. Ashley Dille (NAU) 6-3, 6-1
6.Christina Rivieccio (SAC) def. Michelle Mohr (NAU) 6-2, 6-1
1. Lundqvist/Gronowicz (SAC) def. De Waal/Kathy Kmiec (NAU) 9-7
2. Fessenko/Italina Kirknis (SAC) def. by Balk/Karen Kmiec (NAU) 8-3
3. Rivieccio/Sanches (SAC) def. Dille/Sylvie Qartremer (NAU) 9-8 (7-5)
Sunday, April 14 Schedule at Rio Del Oro Racquet Club:
Weber State v. Northern Arizona 9 a.m.
Portland State v. Sacramento State 2 p.m.