OGDEN, Utah -- The Sacramento State women's tennis team fell to Weber
State, 6-1, in the second round of the Big Sky Pacific Regionals in
Ogden, Utah, Thursday afternoon in Ogden, Utah.
The Hornets, who defeated Portland State, 7-0, earlier in the day,
improved their record to 11-8 overall and 1-1 in the regional.
Competing in the Pacific Regionals are Sacramento State, Portland
State, Cal State Northridge, Northern Arizona and Weber State. The
top three teams from that group advance to the Big Sky Championships
which take place April 20-22 at the Rio Del Oro Racquet Club in
Senior Caroline Svensson (No. 3) was the lone Hornet to win in
singles play, defeating Dana DeLancey, 6-4, 7-5. Lenka Zacharova,
Therina Steenkamp, Veronica Reynosa, Tara Rosenzweig and Claudia
Oropeza were each victorious for Weber State in singles play.
The Wildcats won the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles match to gain the doubles point.
The Hornets face Cal State Northridge in the third round of the
regional on Friday, April 13, at 7:30 p.m. The team wraps up regional
play on Saturday against Northern Arizona.
Weber State 6, Sacramento State 1
1. Gabriella Lundqvist def. by Lenka Zacharova, 6-2, 6-0
2. Marta Gronowicz def. by Therina Steenkamp, 3-6, 6-1, 7-5
3. Caroline Svensson def. Dana DeLancey, 6-4, 7-5
4. Janice Mota def. by Veronica Reynosa, 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
5. Laila Karim def. by Tara Rosenzweig, 6-4, 7-6 (6)
6. Italina Kirknis def. by Claudia Oropeza, 6-4, 6-4
1. Gronowicz/Mota def. by Kim Sen/Zacharova, 8-4
2. Lundqvist/Svensson def. by Oropeza/Steenkamp, 8-2
3. Did Not Play