PORTLAND, Ore. -- The Sacramento State men's tennis team won its
first match at the Big Sky Conference Pacific Regionals with a 7-0
victory over Portland State Friday afternoon.
The Hornets improved to 14-2 with the win and have now won 12 of
their past 13 matches. The Vikings dropped to 2-20. Three of the four
teams competing at the regional will advance to the Big Sky
Championships held at the Rio Del Oro Racquet Club from April 20-22.
Sacramento State had little trouble in the match, capturing five of
the six singles contests in straight sets. The lone match to be
decided in three games came at No. 1 where Sherif Zaher defeated
Michael Thoeresz, 6-2, 1-6, 6-4. In the other five matches, the
Hornets won all but 13 games including 6-1, 6-0 victories by Chris
Smith (No. 3) and Joseph Gilbert (No. 4).
In doubles action, Zaher and Gilbert teamed to defeat Thoeresz and
Bennett, 8-3 at No. 1. Sacramento State also picked up wins by Smith
and Fabio Jesus at No. 2 and Sylvain Iff and Kevin Vieira at No. 3.
The Hornets return to the regionals on Saturday to take on Northern
Arizona at 9:30 a.m.
Sacramento State 7, Portland State 0
1. Sherif Zaher def. Michael Thoeresz, 6-2, 1-6, 6-4
2. Fabio Jesus def. Cory Bennett, 6-1, 6-3
3. Chris Smith def. David Kincaid, 6-1, 6-0
4. Joseph Gilbert def. Adam Rothert, 6-1, 6-0
5. Sylvain Iff def. Andy Minor, 6-2, 6-1
6. Kevin Vieira def. Cody Hoverslend, 6-3, 6-1
1. Zaher/Gilbert def. Thoeresz, 8-3
2. Jesus/Smith def. Kincaid/Rothert
3. Iff/Vieira def. Minor/Hoverslend, 8-1