MENâ€™S TENNIS REMAINS UNBEATEN AT HOME WITH 7-0 BLANKING OF PORTLAND STATE
Freshman Sean Kolar won at both No. 4 singles and No. 2 doubles in today's victory over the Vikings
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Sacramento State swept all six singles matches in straight sets, and won each doubles match convincingly on the way to a 7-0 victory over Portland State in a Big Sky Conference men’s tennis match Monday afternoon at the Rio Del Oro Racquet Club.
With the win, the Hornets (8-11, 6-1) have now won five of their last six matches. Sacramento State also improved to 5-0 at home, and is in the midst of a stretch that will see the team play four times in as many days. The four-day, four-match stretch began with a road win at Montana State on Saturday and a road loss to Montana yesterday.
The Hornets have just two matches remaining on the regular season schedule, including a road contest tomorrow afternoon at Pacific. The Hornets wrap up the regular season with a home contest against Idaho State on April 14. The team hosts the Big Sky Tournament at the Gold River Racquet Club next weekend (April 21-22). The winner of the tournament receives an automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament, a place the Hornets have been seven times in the last 11 years.
In today’s match, junior Aliaksandr Malko (6-1, 6-1 at No. 1), senior Javier Millan (6-4, 6-1 at No. 2), and freshmen Marek Marksoo (6-0, 6-1 at No. 3), Sean Kolar (6-1, 6-1 at No. 4), Jonathan Hultkrantz (6-3, 6-0 at No. 5) and Roy Brandys (6-2, 6-0 at No. 6) all won in quick fashion.
In doubles play, the Hornet tandems of Millan/Marksoo (8-2 at No. 1), Kolar/Tom Miller (8-1 at No. 2) and Malko/Blake Emery (8-5 at No. 3) all won in convincing fashion.
Sacramento State is now a half game behind first-place Montana (6-0) in the Big Sky standings.
Portland State vs Sacramento State
Apr 09, 2012 at Sacramento, Calif.
(Rio Del Oro Racquet Club)
Sacramento State 7, Portland State 0
1. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) def. MARGOULIS, Roman (PSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. MILLAN, Javier (SAC) def. SOMACH, Mitch (PSU) 6-4, 6-1
3. MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) def. LUBEK, Zach (PSU) 6-0, 6-1
4. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) def. MARX, Alec (PSU) 6-1, 6-1
5. HULTKRANTZ, Jonathan (SAC) def. FRACCHIA, Nick (PSU) 6-3, 6-0
6. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) def. CHART, Nate (PSU) 6-2, 6-0
1. MILLAN, Javier/MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) def. MARGOULIS, Roman/SOMACH, Mitch (PSU) 8-2
2. KOLAR, Sean/MILLER, Tom (SAC) def. LUBEK, Zach/CHART, Nate (PSU) 8-1
3. MALKO, Aliaksandr/EMERY, Blake (SAC) def. FRACCHIA, Nick/MARX, Alec (PSU) 8-5
Portland State 2-15, 0-7
Sacramento State 8-11, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,1,6,4,2,5)