MENâ€™S TENNIS WINS THIRD STRAIGHT WITH VICTORY OVER UC RIVERSIDE
GOLD RIVER, Calif. -- Sacramento State’s Aliaksandr Malko, Marek Marksoo, Jonathan Hultkrantz and Roy Brandys each won in straight sets to lead the Hornets to a 5-2 victory over UC Riverside in a non-conference men’s tennis match Saturday afternoon at the Spare Time Indoor Tennis Center.
With the victory, Sacramento State won its third straight while improving its record to 6-10. The Highlanders had their three-match winning streak snapped while slipping to 6-12.
Malko (6-1, 6-1 at No. 1), Marksoo (6-3, 6-1 at No. 3), Hultkrantz (6-1, 6-2 at No. 5) and Brandys (6-0, 6-0 at No. 6) each won their singles matches in relatively easy fashion. In fact, the only two Hornet losses in singles play both game in third-set super tiebreakers as Javier Millan and Sean Kolar both dropped their matches.
Sacramento State swept the doubles matches to win the doubles point as the tandems of Marksoo/Millan (8-2 at No. 1), Kolar/Tom Miller (8-2 at No. 2) and Malko/Brandys (8-1 at No. 3) each won in quick fashion.
The Hornets, who are a perfect 4-0 in the Big Sky Conference, jump back into league play next weekend when the team travels to Montana State (April 7) and Montana (April 8).
Mar 31, 2012 at Gold River, Calif.
(Spare Time Indoor Tennis Center)
Sacramento State 5, UC Riverside 2
1. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) def. Felix Macherez (UCR) 6-1, 6-1
2. Jimmy Roberts (UCR) def. MILLAN, Javier (SAC) 4-6, 7-6 (12-10), 10-5
3. MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) def. Austin Andres (UCR) 6-3, 6-1
4. Luis Gastao (UCR) def. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) 4-6, 6-3, 10-8
5. HULTKRANTZ, Jonathan (SAC) def. Simon Peters (UCR) 6-1, 6-2
6. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) def. Kevin Griffin (UCR) 6-0, 6-0
1. MARKSOO, Marek/MILLAN, Javier (SAC) def. Austin Andres/Felix Macherez (UCR) 8-2
2. KOLAR, Sean/MILLER, Tom (SAC) def. Luis Gastao/Kevin Griffin (UCR) 8-2
3. MALKO, Aliaksandr/BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) def. Simon Peters/Jimmy Roberts (UCR) 8-1
UC Riverside 6-12
Sacramento State 6-10
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,5,3,1,4,2)