MENâ€™S TENNIS DROPS ROAD MATCH AT NEVADA
RENO, Nev. -- Sacramento State won the doubles point, but Nevada’s Wessim Derbel, Victor Ouvard, Moez Echargui and Jordan Rozenfeld were each victorious in singles to lead the Wolf Pack to a 4-1 victory in a non-conference men’s tennis match Friday night at the Lakeridge Tennis Club.
With the win, Nevada, which was playing its home opener, improved to 5-4 overall. The Hornets were playing for the first time since a win against UC Davis on Feb. 19, and dropped to 2-5 with the loss.
Sacramento State’s doubles tandems of Tom Miller/Sean Kolar won, 8-3, at No. 2, and Marek Marksoo/Roy Brandys won at No. 3, 9-8 (4) to give the Hornets the point.
However, Nevada won at Nos. 1-4 singles, while matches at No. 5 and No. 6 were stopped because the Wolf Pack already had the necessary four points for victory.
Playing with five freshmen like they have in every match this season, the Hornets could have just as easily won at Nos. 2-4 singles as all those matches were tight three-set affairs. In fact, Ouvard beat Javier Millan at No. 2 (4-6, 6-3, 6-4), Echargui beat Kolar at No. 3 (3-6, 6-0, 7-5) and Rozenfeld beat Brandys at No. 4 (6-7, 6-3, 7-6) in nail biters. Both matches at No. 5 and No. 6 were also close before they were halted. Derbel, who is ranked 87th in the nation, beat Aliaksandr Malko, 6-0, 6-4.
Sacramento State returns to action one week from today when the team travels to Big Sky Conference foe Northern Colorado on March 9. The Hornets are 1-0 in conference play thus far with their win coming over Weber State on Feb. 18.
Tennis Match Results
Sacramento State vs Nevada
(Lakeridge Tennis Club)
Nevada 4, Sacramento State 1
1. #87 Wessim Derbel (NEV) def. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) 6-0, 6-4
2. Victor Ouvard (NEV) def. MILLAN, Javier (SAC) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Moez Echargui (NEV) def. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) 3-6, 6-0, 7-5
4. Jordan Rozenfeld (NEV) def. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) 6-7 (7-9), 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Quentin Mege (NEV) vs. MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) 6-2, 6-5, unfinished
6. Fernando Sunago (NEV) vs. HULTKRANTZ, Jonathan (SAC) 6-4, 2-2, unfinished
1. Wessim Derbel/Fernando Sunago (NEV) def. MALKO, Aliaksandr/MILLAN, Javier (SAC) 9-7
2. MILLER, Tom/KOLAR, Sean (SAC) def. Quentin Mege/Victor Ouvard (NEV) 8-3
3. MARKSOO, Marek/BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) def. Moez Echargui/Nathan Reix (NEV) 9-8 (7-4)
Sacramento State 2-5