MEN’S TENNIS ERASES 3-1 DEFICIT TO DEFEAT UC DAVIS
DAVIS, Calif. — Trailing, 3-1, Sacramento State got singles victories from redshirt freshman Niranjan Ram, and sophomores Roy Brandys and Marek Marksoo to pull off the comeback and defeat rival UC Davis, 4-3, in a non-conference men's tennis match Saturday afternoon at the Marya Welch Tennis Center.
With the victory, the Hornets snapped a three-match losing streak while improving to 2-5 on the young season. UC Davis dropped to 4-6, including 1-2 on its home courts.
In addition, Sacramento State won its seventh consecutive match against UC Davis, and improved to 16-6 against the Aggies since joining the Div. I ranks for the 1992 season.
The Hornets, who have used a lineup consisting of five underclassmen and a senior all season, won in dramatic fashion, getting a three-set win from Ram at No. 6 (6-3, 1-6, 6-3) to close the deficit to 3-2 before Brandys won his match at No. 4 in three sets to tie the score at 3-3. Brandys defeated Brett Bacharach, 6-2, 4-6, 7-6, including 7-2 in the tiebreaker. Marksoo became the third straight Hornet to win his match in three sets, providing the clinching point with his 6-7 (3), 6-2, 6-4 win over Toki Sherbakov at No. 1.
UC Davis began things by winning two of the three doubles matches to win the point. Sacramento State then tied the match at No. 5 singles when Tom Miller crushed Adam Luba at No. 5 (6-1, 6-2). However, UC Davis won matches at Nos. 2 and 3, to take a 3-1 lead.
Ram and Marksoo both improved to 4-3 in singles play this year. The tandem of Miller and Sean Kolar picked up the Hornets' lone doubles win at No. 2 by an 8-1 score.
Sacramento State returns to action tomorrow when the team travels to Fresno State for a matchup at noon. The Hornets' home opener is scheduled for March 1 against Pacific at 3:30 p.m.
Feb 23, 2013 at Davis, Calif.
(Marya Welch Tennis Center)
Sacramento State 4, UC Davis 3
1. MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) def. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) 6-7 (3-7), 6-2, 6-4
2. Kyle Miller (UCD) def. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
3. Parker Kelley (UCD) def. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) 6-1, 6-3
4. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) def. Brett Bacharach (UCD) 6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (7-2)
5. MILLER, Tom (SAC) def. Adam Luba (UCD) 6-1, 6-2
6. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) def. Alec Haley (UCD) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
1. Toki Sherbakov/Adam Levie (UCD) def. MARKSOO, Marek/MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) 8-3
2. MILLER, Tom/KOLAR, Sean (SAC) def. Parker Kelley/Alec Haley (UCD) 8-1
3. Adam Luba/Kyle Miller (UCD) def. BRANDYS, Roy/RAM, Niranjan (SAC) 8-6
Sacramento State 2-5
UC Davis 4-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,3,2,6,4,1)