SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Sacramento State received singles victories from sophomores Marek Marksoo and Tom Miller, but it was not enough as the Hornets fell to Pacific, 5-2, in a non-conference men's tennis match Friday afternoon at the Rio Del Oro Racquet Club.
The match was the home opener for Sacramento State (3-6) as the team had played the first eight matches of the season away from home prior to today. The Hornets, who used a senior and five underclassmen in their lineup for the ninth straight time, had their two-match winning streak snapped, which included back-to-back wins last weekend over UC Davis and Fresno State.
The Tigers, who improved to 6-4, won two of the three doubles matches to earn the point. The Hornet tandem of Marksoo/Aliaksandr Malko won their match at No. 1 by an 8-4 score, but Pacific won at Nos. 2 and 3, including an 8-6 win at No. 2 to clinch the doubles point.
Sacramento State briefly tied the match at 1-1 after Miller disposed of Valentim Goncalves at No. 6 by a 6-3, 6-2 score. After the Tigers won at Nos. 2 and 5 to take a 3-1 lead, it was Marksoo cutting the deficit to 3-2 with his 6-2, 6-0 victory over Alex Golding at No. 1.
The final two matches of the afternoon were both close, but Pacific prevailed as Dennis Stolyarov beat Sean Kolar at No. 3 (6-4, 7-6) and Ben Mirkin knocked off the Hornets' Roy Brandys (7-5, 2-6, 7-5) at No. 4.
The singles win for Marksoo was his third straight, and he improved to a team-best 6-3 in singles play this season. Niranjan Ram had his three-match winning streak snapped with a 6-4, 6-3 loss at No. 5. Ram had played at No. 6 all season until be bumped up in the lineup to No. 5 today.
Sacramento State does not play again until hosting Cal on Thursday, March 7, at 2:45 p.m. The matchup will mark the first time in recent memory the Golden Bears have travelled to Sacramento to play the Hornets.
Pacific vs Sacramento State
Mar 01, 2013 at Sacramento, Calif.
(Rio Del Oro Racquet Club)
Pacific 5, Sacramento State 2
1. MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) def. Alex Golding (PAC) 6-2, 6-0
2. Sem Verbeek (PAC) def. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) 6-4, 6-2
3. Denis Stolyarov (PAC) def. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) 6-4, 7-6 (7-0)
4. Ben Mirkin (PAC) def. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) 7-5, 2-6, 7-5
5. Daniel Alameh (PAC) def. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) 6-4, 6-3
6. MILLER, Tom (SAC) def. Valentim Goncalves (PAC) 6-3, 6-2
1. MARKSOO, Marek/MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) def. Alex Hamilton/Trevor James (PAC) 8-4
2. Denis Stolyarov/Sem Verbeek (PAC) def. KOLAR, Sean/MILLER, Tom (SAC) 8-6
3. Alex Golding/Daniel Alameh (PAC) def. BRANDYS, Roy/RAM, Niranjan (SAC) 8-4
Sacramento State 3-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,2,5,1,3,4)