SAN FRANCISCO — Aliaksandr Malko was victorious in singles and doubles play but the Sacramento State men's tennis team came up short, 6-1, in a tightly contested match at San Francisco on Sunday.
The Dons (2-2) earned the first point of the day with a pair of 8-6 victories in doubles play. Malko and Marek Marksoo earned an 8-2 win at No. 1 to improve to 3-1 on the year. From that point Nils Skajaa and Bernardo Saraiva defeated Sean Kolar and Tom Miller at No. 2 and Richard Bucalem and Jonathon Knowlman outlasted Roy Brandys and Niranjan Ram at No. 3.
Four of the six singles matches needed three sets including Malko's where he defeated William Schumacher, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4, at No. 2 for the Hornets' (1-4) lone point.
USF extended its lead early on in singles competition with a 6-4, 6-1, win by Germain Bahri at No. 6 over Ram and a win from Saraiva over Kolar (6-3, 6-2) at No. 3.
After Malko put Sacramento State on the board, Rich Van Hout answered for the Dons with a 2-6, 6-4, 6-4, victory over Brandys at No. 4. Thai Tu added a 6-7, 7-2, 7-5 win at the top of the ladder over Marksoo and Skajaa completed the match by downing Miller, 7-5, 5-7, 6-3, at No. 5.
The Hornets will continue to play on the road when it plays at Santa Clara on Feb. 16.
San Francisco 6, Sacramento State 1
Feb 10, 2013 at San Francisco, Calif. (Cal Club)
1. Thai Tu (USF) def. Marek Marksoo (SAC) 6-7, 6-2, 7-5
2. Aliaksandr Malko (SAC) def. William Schumacher (USF) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
3. Bernardo Saraiva (USF) def. Sean Kolar (SAC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Rich Van Hout (USF) def. Roy Brandys (SAC) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Nils Skajaa (USF) def. Tom Miller (SAC) 7-5, 5-7, 6-3
6. Germain Bahri (USF) def. Niranjan Ram (SAC) 6-4, 6-1
1. Marksoo/Malko(SAC) def. Tu/Schumacher (USF) 8-2
2. Skajaa/Saraiva (USF) def. Kolar/Miller (SAC) 8-6
3. Richard Bucalem/Jonathon Knowlman (USF) def. Brandys/Ram (SAC) 8-6
Sacramento State 1-4
San Francisco 2-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,3,2,4,1,5)