POCATELLO, Idaho — The Sacramento State men's tennis team opened the day by defeating Weber State, 5-2, this morning before traveling north and falling to Idaho State, 4-3, in the afternoon.
The Hornets, who moved their record to 7-10 overall and 4-1 in the conference, suffered their first league loss of the season, and their first loss to Idaho State in nine years. In fact, Sacramento State had defeated the Bengals on eight straight occasions prior to today's loss.
The Hornets began the day in Ogden, Utah, where they defeated Weber State (4-7, 2-2) at the Ogden Athletic Club before making the two-hour drive to Pocatello where the Hornets lost, 4-3, to Idaho State (5-2, 4-0) in Reed Gym.
The Hornets' Marek Marksoo, Roy Brandys and Sean Kolar each won both their singles matches during the day, with Marksoo and Brandys winning their matches in straight sets.
Against Weber State, the Hornets won two of the three doubles matches to pick up the point, before getting singles wins from Marksoo (6-2, 6-3 at No. 1), Brandys (7-6, 6-3 at No. 3), Kolar (3-6, 6-0, 6-2 at No. 4) and Tom Miller (7-5, 6-1 at No. 6).
In the match against Idaho State, the Hornets had a 3-2 lead before Idaho State's Jamey Swiggart (6-1, 7-6 at No. 5) and Austin Miller (6-4, 3-6, 6-3 at No. 6) claimed singles wins to give the Bengals the victory.
Idaho State also won the doubles point, claiming the victory in two of the three doubles matches. Marksoo (6-4, 7-5 at No. 1), Brandys (6-4, 6-4 at No. 3) and Kolar (6-3, 6-4 at No. 4) were each victorious in singles play.
Marksoo (nine wins in a row), Kolar (five wins in a row) and Brandys (four wins in a row) currently have lengthy winning streaks for the Hornets.
Sacramento State continues its five-match road trip next week with matches at UC Riverside on Saturday, and Loyola Marymount on Sunday.
Sacramento State vs Weber State
Mar 17, 2013 at Ogden, Utah
(Ogden Athletic Club)
Sacramento State 5, Weber State 2
1. MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) def. GEWERT, Jakub (WSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. FOUGHT, Todd (WSU) def. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) 6-4, 6-1
3. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) def. GOOD, Oliver (WSU) 7-6, 6-3
4. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) def. POITENA, Caio (WSU) 3-6, 6-0, 6-2
5. GOSWAMI, Sanjay (WSU) def. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) 6-1, 6-4
6. MILLER, Tom (SAC) def. GARNER, Ryan (WSU) 7-5, 6-1
1. #80 MARKSOO, Marek/MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) def. GOOD, Oliver/POITENA, Caio (WSU) 9-8
2. FOUGHT, Todd/GOSWAMI, Sanjay (WSU) def. BRANDYS, Roy/KOLAR, Sean (SAC) 8-6
3. MILLER, Tom/RAAG, Henrik (SAC) def. GARNER, Ryan/TRABERT, Anthony (WSU) 8-5
Sacramento State 7-9, 4-0 BSC
Weber State 4-7, 2-2 BSC
Sacramento State vs Idaho State
Mar 17, 2013 at Pocatello, Idaho
Idaho State 4, Sacramento State 3
1. MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) def. MARIAN, Christian (ISU) 6-4, 7-5
2. NORMAN, Charles (ISU) def. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) 6-4, 6-4
3. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) def. STEMPIEN, Krzysztof (ISU) 6-4, 6-4
4. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) def. GROSS, Nate (ISU) 6-3, 6-4
5. SWIGGART, Jamey (ISU) def. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
6. MILLER, Austin (ISU) def. MILLER, Tom (SAC) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
1. NORMAN, Charles/GROSS, Nate (ISU) def. #80 MALKO, Aliaksandr/MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) 9-7
2. KOLAR, Sean/BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) def. MARIAN, Christian/SWIGGART, Jamey (ISU) 8-6
3. STEMPIEN, Krzysztof/COELLO, Andres (ISU) def. RAAG, Henrik/MILLER, Tom (SAC) 8-3
Sacramento State 7-10, 4-1
Idaho State 5-2, 4-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,4,1,3,5,6)