MEN’S TENNIS NOW 9-1 AGAINST BIG SKY FOES AFTER 5-2 WIN AT EASTERN WASHINGTON
SPOKANE, Wash. — Sacramento State's Aliaksandr Malko, Sean Kolar, Niranjan Ram and Tom Miller each won their singles matches in straight sets to help lead the Hornets to a 5-2 win at Eastern Washington in a Big Sky Conference men's tennis match Saturday afternoon at the Scotford Tennis Center.
With the win, the Hornets (14-11 overall) won their fifth straight conference match and completed the Big Sky season with a 9-1 record. The team's only loss came at Idaho State (4-3) back on March 17. Sacramento State, which has just two non-conference matches remaining on the regular season schedule, clinched at least the No. 2 seed for the Big Sky Tournament later this month at Gold River Racquet Club.
Idaho State remains in first place with a 6-0 record, and should the Bengals lose two of their final four Big Sky matches, the Hornets would gain the No. 1 seed for the conference tournament (April 26-28). Regardless, Sacramento State has already clinched a first round bye in the tournament by virtue of clinching at least the No. 2 seed. The Hornets will be seeking their fifth straight Big Sky Tournament championship.
In today's match, Malko (7-5, 6-2 at No. 2), Kolar (6-3, 6-1 at No. 3), Ram (6-2, 6-2 at No. 4) and Miller (6-1, 6-3 at No. 5) were all victorious with relative ease. Roy Brandys lost his match at No. 1 by a 6-4, 7-6 score, and Henrik Raag lost at No. 6 by a 6-4, 6-4 score. Sacramento State was playing without its top player, Marek Marksoo, who was out with an ankle injury. Kolar has now won six singles matches in a row and improved to a team-best 9-0 against Big Sky opposition this year.
Sacramento State's doubles teams of Miller/Malko (No. 1) and Kolar/Brandys (No. 2) were both victorious to earn the Hornets the doubles point.
The Hornets will finish a stretch that will see the team play four road matches in four days when they play at Idaho tomorrow at 9 a.m. PDT.
Sacramento State vs Eastern Washington
Apr 06, 2013 at Spokane, Wash.
(Scotford Tennis Center)
Sacramento State 5, Eastern Washington 2
1. COHEN, Joseph (EWUM) def. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
2. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) def. KOETJE, Kyle (EWUM) 7-5, 6-2
3. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) def. ARANGUIZ, Tomas (EWUM) 6-3, 6-1
4. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) def. BRINGOLD, Eduardo (EWUM) 6-2, 6-2
5. MILLER, Tom (SAC) def. FARRAR, Stefan (EWUM) 6-1, 6-3
6. CARPIO, Arturo (EWUM) def. RAAG, Henrik (SAC) 6-4, 6-4
1. MILLER, Tom/MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) def. COHEN, Joseph/MARTINEZ, Eduardo (EWUM) retired
2. KOLAR, Sean/BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) def. CARPIO, Arturo/BRINGOLD, Eduardo (EWUM) 8-1
3. KOETJE, Kyle/ARANGUIZ, Tomas (EWUM) vs. RAAG, Henrik/RAM, Niranjan (SAC) 4-3, unfinished
Sacramento State 14-11, 9-1 Big Sky
Eastern Washington 8-11, 4-4 Big Sky