PORTLAND, Ore. — Sacramento State's Roy Brandys and Sean Kolar were both victorious in singles play, but it was not enough as the Hornets fell at Portland, 5-2, in a non-conference men's tennis match Thursday afternoon at the LP Tennis Center.
With the loss, Sacramento State (12-11) had its five-match winning streak snapped as the team fell for just the second time in the last month. The Hornets had also won eight of their last nine matches heading into today's contest. With the victory, Portland improved to 9-7.
The Hornets were playing without their top player, Marek Marksoo, who was out with an ankle injury. Brandys, who normally plays at No. 3 for the Hornets, moved up to No. 1 for the first time in his career, and came through with a 1-6, 6-3, 7-6 victory over Portland's Ratan Gill. Brandys has now won four straight, and nine of his last 10 singles matches.
Kolar, who continued a torrid pace that has seen him win four straight and 10 of his last 11 singles matches, beat Alex Ferrero at No. 3 by a 6-2, 6-1 score. What makes Kolar's run so remarkable was he lost his first 11 singles matches of the season, before going 10-1 over his last 11 competitions.
The Hornets, however, lost the other four singles matches as Aliaksandr Malko (No. 2), Niranjan Ram (No. 4), Tom Miller (No. 5) and Henrik Raag (No. 6) each fell.
Sacramento State also lost the doubles point for the first time in six matches as the tandem of Raag and Ram (8-4 at No. 3) was the only victorious Hornet doubles squad.
Today marked the first of a stretch that will see the Hornets play four road matches over four days, including a Big Sky Conference matchup tomorrow morning at Portland State.
Sacramento State vs Portland
Apr 04, 2013 at Portland, Ore.
(LP Tennis Center)
Portland 5, Sacramento State 2
1. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) def. Ratan Gill (POR) 1-6, 6-3, 7-6
2. Michel HuKwo (POR) def. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) 6-3, 6-4
3. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) def. Alex Ferrero (POR) 6-2, 6-1
4. Justin Guay (POR) def. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Jackson Martin (POR) def. MILLER, Tom (SAC) 5-7, 6-1, 6-3
6. Kent Andreason (POR) def. RAAG, Henrik (SAC) 6-3, 6-2
1. Ratan Gill/Alex Ferrero (POR) def. MALKO, Aliaksandr/MILLER, Tom (SAC) 8-2
2. Michel HuKwo/Jackson Martin (POR) def. BRANDYS, Roy/KOLAR, Sean (SAC) 8-5
3. RAAG, Henrik/RAM, Niranjan (SAC) def. Justin Guay/Kent Andreason (POR) 8-4
Sacramento State 12-11