MEN’S TENNIS GOES DOWN TO THE WIRE BEFORE FALLING TO NEVADA, 4-3
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Nevada's Victor Ouvrard defeated Aliaksandr Malko, 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4 to break a 3-3 tie and deliver a 4-3 win for the Wolf Pack over Sacramento State in a non-conference men's tennis match Sunday afternoon at Rio Del Oro Racquet Club.
Sacramento State was playing without its No. 1 player Marek Marksoo because of an injury, but still nearly pulled out the win over a Nevada team that is now 8-4 this season. The Hornets (4-9) have played four times in four days, and each of the last three have been 4-3 outcomes. In fact, Sacramento State has now played eight straight matches that were decided by a 4-3 or 5-2 score, and the team 3-5 in those matches.
Marskoo, who is a team co-captain, is 9-3 in singles play this season, and his loss didn't help matters as Sacramento State had to shift everyone up one spot in the lineup. Still, the Hornets received victories from Sean Kolar (3-6, 6-1, 7-5 at No. 3), Niranjan Ram (6-4, 7-6 at No. 4) and Tom Miller (7-6, 6-4 at No. 5). Ram aggravated a groin injury during his match, but still gutted out the win.
Nevada won two of the three doubles matches to earn the point, and the Wolf Pack got singles wins from Ryan Andrada at No. 6 and Moez Echargui at No. 2 to take a 3-0 lead. However, the Hornets stormed back with wins by Miller, Ram and Kolar, respectively.
With the score tied at 3-3, Ouvrard and Malko were battling at No. 1 in what proved to be the longest match of the day. Malko won the first set, but narrowly lost both the second and third sets to fall.
Sacramento State returns to action on Tuesday for yet another home match against Montana State at noon. The Bobcats will be the Hornets' second Big Sky Conference opponent this year as Sacramento State knocked off Northern Arizona in its conference opener yesterday.
Nevada vs Sacramento State
Mar 10, 2013 at Sacramento, Calif.
(Rio Del Oro Racquet Club)
Nevada 4, Sacramento State 3
1. Victor Ouvrard (NEV) def. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) 4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
2. Moez Echargui (NEV) def. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) 6-4, 6-4
3. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) def. Fernando Sunago (NEV) 3-6, 6-1, 7-5
4. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) def. Robert Allan (NEV) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
5. MILLER, Tom (SAC) def. Quentin Mege (NEV) 7-6 (11-9), 6-4
6. Ryan Andrada (NEV) def. RAAG, Henrik (SAC) 6-2, 6-4
1. MALKO, Aliaksandr/MILLER, Tom (SAC) def. Victor Ouvrard/Robert Allan (NEV) 6-5 (7-5)
2. Andrew Poustie/Fernando Sunago (NEV) def. KOLAR, Sean/RAM, Niranjan (SAC) 8-4 (2-0)
3. Quentin Mege/Moez Echargui (NEV) def. RAAG, Henrik/BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) 8-2
Sacramento State 4-9
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,2,5,4,3,1)