Text-Only Site



SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Sacramento State got an early goal from senior Isaac Ikyurav and dominated for the better part of regulation but San Francisco found an equalizer in the 85th minute as the Hornets and Dons played to a 1-1 draw.

"I thought we were by far the better team for 75 minutes and we should have been up 5-0, but because we didn't put them away they were still hanging around and we died off a little bit and they obviously got the goal," Sacramento State head coach Michael Linenberger said. "We were clearly the better team for 75 minutes, but to win division-I soccer games it takes 90. I hope my young team can learn from that today."

Sacramento State (1-1-2) completely dominated the first half with an 8-1 overall shot advantage without allowing a San Francisco (3-1-1) shot on goal. Ikyurav had a shot stopped by San Francisco goalkeeper Chase Hauser in the 22nd minute but then beat Hauser one minute later on a thunderous strike to the far post from 15 yards out off assists from senior Gabe Silveira and junior Adan Martinez.

"As soon as I received the ball I read my options and I saw a player run to my left and he drew a defender so I knew it was a good opportunity to go for the other side," Ikyurav said. "I took that space and saw the goalie off his line and I struck it well. I was glad it went in; I've been working hard the past three games and I've been looking for that one goal and the key was just consistency."

The Dons did not take their first shot of the half until the 41st minute when they had a try blocked by the Hornet defense. Hauser kept the visitors within a goal with two first half saves to send the match to the intermission at 1-0.

Hauser continued his strong play early in the second half as he stopped two quality opportunities by Ikyurav in the first 10 minutes. The Hornets continued to dominate into the late stages of regulation before San Francisco placed its first shot on goal in the 68th minute, a try easily corralled by Sacramento State senior goalkeeper Cesar Castillo.

That first shot on net began to turn the tide, and in the 84th minute a San Francisco corner kick set up the equalizer. Castillo stopped an initial shot by the Dons but it left an open rebound try for San Francisco freshman David Garrett. Castillo stopped his first shot but Garrett was able to get a second try into the Hornet goal to even the score.

San Francisco dominated both overtime periods, due in large part to a red card issued to Sacramento State's Chimdum Mez that left the home team a man down in the 96th minute. The Dons had three shots in the first OT and two more in the second OT playing with the man advantage, but the Hornet back line proved strong and Castillo made the only save required of him to end the match in a draw.

Ikyurav's first goal of the season was the ninth tally of his superb Hornet career. Sacramento State sophomore Edwin Luna led all players with eight shots in the contest, placing one on goal, as the Hornets held a 20-17 overall shot advantage. Hauser made seven saves while Castillo had six.

With the tie Sacramento State extended its lengthy streak without an overtime loss to 23 matches, improving to 10-0-13 in overtime matches since its last OT loss in 2010.

The Hornets will now play on the road for three consecutive weekends to close non-conference play, first facing Saint Mary's at 4 p.m. Saturday.