MEN'S GOLF FINISHES FIRST AT DIABLO GRANDE INTERCOLLEGIATE; DeBORBA CLAIMS INDIVIDUAL TITLE
PATTERSON, Calif. — Led by a third-round 68 from Scott DeBorba, the Sacramento State men’s golf team finished first at the Diablo Grande Intercollegiate on Tuesday. DeBorba was also the tournament medalist edging teammate Grant Norton by two strokes.
The Hornets were one stroke ahead of Cal State Bakersfield entering the final 18 holes of competition. The team used the 68 from DeBorba and a 73 from Norton to stretch its lead to six strokes at the conclusion of play. Sacramento State finished the tournament at 885 with rounds of 298, 295 and 292.
Individually, DeBorba shot 74-74-68 to finish at 216. His third-round score is tied for the sixth-best round in school history and was also his career best. Norton was second overall at 70-75-73-218 and Cody Miller tied for fourth at 72-75-73-220.
The victory was the first for the Hornet men since winning the Countrywide Home Loans Intercollegiate in October of 1998. DeBorba became the first Sacramento State medalist since Philip Cuthbertson won the Santa Clara Invitational on Nov. 7, 2000.
The team victory comes one week after the Hornet women finished first at the Bobcat Desert Classic.
1. Sacramento State 298-295-292-885
2. CS Bakersfield 294-300-297-891
3. Sonoma State 295-304-302-901
4. CS San Marcos 292-306-304-902
5. Chico State 304-301-309-914
6. Drake 301-309-307-917
7. Missouri State 299-305-317-921
8. Concordia 305-306-315-926
9. Birmingham Southern 308-316-315-939
10. Bradley 320-315-313-948
INDIVIDUAL TOP FIVE
1. Scott DeBorba, SAC, 74-74-68-216
2. Grant Norton, SAC, 70-75-73-218
3. Chris Kwon, CSUB, 70-75-74-219
T4. Cody Miller, SAC, 72-75-73-220
T4. Jarin Todd, SSU, 73-74-73-220
SACRAMENTO STATE FINISHERS
1. Scott DeBorba 74-74-68-216
2. Grant Norton 70-75-73-218
T4. Cody Miller 72-75-73-220
T25. Kyle Candlish 82-72-78-232
T39. Chad Wood 84-74-82-240