Full set of game notes (pdf)
Big Sky Tournament Home Page
HORNETS AT THE BIG SKY TOURNAMENT
• Sacramento State's appearance in this year's Big Sky Conference Tournament is the team's sixth straight and 10th since joining the league in 1996.
• The Hornets (15-15, 8-12) opened the tournament yesterday with a 72-60 win in the first round over No. 8 Northern Arizona. Sacramento State, which is the No. 9 seed, will now play top-seeded Montana on Thursday at 11 a.m. PDT in the quarterfinals. Montana received a first round bye after winning the regular season title. The Griz (23-8, 16-4) are one of two teams that won both meetings against Sacramento State in the regular season.
• All 11 Big Sky teams qualified for the league's postseason event and the Hornets were one of six teams that played yesterday in the first round. Other first round scores were No. 7 Southern Utah beating No. 10 Idaho State, 94-80, and No. 6 Montana State knocking off No. 11 Idaho, 75-71.
• Prior to the 2015-16 season, only the top six or seven teams qualified for the league's postseason event. This season marks the fourth year in a row the tournament is being played on a neutral floor, and first at the CenturyLink Arena in Boise, Idaho. The previous three Big Sky Tournaments were played in Reno, Nev.
• Since joining the Big Sky in 1996-97, the Hornets have reached the Big Sky Tournament 10 times, including four straight years from 2002-03 through the 2005-06 seasons, and six straight years from 2013-pres.
• The Hornets are 4-4 in their last five tournament appearances, including wins in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2019. Sacramento State lost in the first round to Portland State a year ago.
• Sacramento State is 6-9 all-time in tournament play, including semifinal appearances in 2003, 2006 and 2015. The Hornets hosted quarterfinal games in 2004 and 2005, and lost to Weber State by six points or less both times. The Hornets have never reached the championship game.
• In Big Sky Tournament play, the Hornets are 0-2 at home, 2-2 on the road, and 4-5 on neutral floors.
• Sacramento State lost both regular season meetings to Montana this year, one of just two teams that swept the Hornets during the year (Northern Colorado is the other).
• The Hornets were outscored in those two meetings, 86.5-62.0. In fact, Sacramento State suffered its two biggest margins of defeat in conference play to the Grizzlies - 87-56 in Missoula, and 86-68 last Saturday inside the Nest.
• Montana is shooting 57% (62-109) from the field and 55% (23-42) from the 3-point line against Sacramento State and owns a 34.0-27.5 advantage in rebounding.
• Conversely, the Hornets are shooting 41% from the field and 21% from distance.
• Junior center Joshua Patton is averaging 14.0 points and 4.5 rebounds vs. Montana, shooting at a blistering 83% (10-12) from the field and 8-for-8 from the free throw line.
• Marcus Graves is averaging 12.5 points, but has shot just 7-for-25 against the Griz.
• No other Hornet player is averaging more than eight points vs. Montana.
• Five Montana players are averaging double figures vs. the Hornets, including Ahmaad Rorie (16.0 ppg, 53% FG), Sayeed Pridgett (15.0 ppg, 62% FG), Michael Oguine (14.0 ppg, 53% FG) and Timmy Falls (11.0 ppg, 82% FG).
BIG SKY TOURNAMENT FORMAT
• This year's tournament features all 11 teams playing in a four-day, single-elimination
event that takes place in Boise's CenturyLink Arena from March 13-16.
• The top five seeds - No. 1 Montana, No. 2 Northern Colorado, No. 3 Eastern Washington, No. 4 Weber State and No. 5 Portland State - each received a first round bye.
• On Wednesday, there were three first-round games, including No. 8 Northern Arizona vs. No. 9 Sacramento State, No. 7 Southern Utah vs. No. 10 Idaho State, and No. 6 Montana State vs. No. 11 Idaho.
• On Thursday, there will be four quarterfinal games - No. 1 Montana takes on Sacramento State at 11 a.m. PDT, followed by No. 4 Weber State vs. No. 5 Portland State at 1:30 p.m. PDT, No. 2 Northern Colorado vs. No. 7 Southern Utah at 4:30 p.m. PDT, and No. 3 Eastern Washington facing No. 6 Montana State at 7 p.m. PDT.
• The semifinals take place on Friday at 4:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. PDT, and the championship is Saturday at 5:00 p.m. PDT on ESPNU.
• The Big Sky women's tournament takes place March 11-15, also at CenturyLink Arena.
• The first round, quarterfinal and semifinal games of the Big Sky Tournament will be shown on Pluto.TV channel 231. The quarterfinals and semifinals will also be televised on Eleven Sports, and the championship game will air on ESPNU.
• Every Sacramento State game during the tournament will broadcast live on ESPN 1320 AM with 22nd-year play-by-play man Steve McElroy calling all the action.
• Live stats for every game of the tournament will be available via bigskystats.com.
• Links for all multimedia options for every Sacramento State game of the tournament can be found on the men's basketball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
March 2, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS IN SHOOTOUT AT IDAHO, 94-90
February 23, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS SHOOTING GOES COLD IN 65-57 ROAD LOSS AT PORTLAND STATE
February 20, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS CONCLUDES HOMESTAND THURSDAY NIGHT VS. WEBER STATE
February 16, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS FALLS AT HOME TO NORTHERN ARIZONA
February 14, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS CONTINUES HOMESTAND THURSDAY NIGHT VS. SOUTHERN UTAH
February 11, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL NEVER TRAILS IN 78-67 HOME WIN OVER PORTLAND STATE
February 9, 2019 LATE SURGE DOOMS MEN’S HOOPS IN 65-59 ROAD LOSS AT NORTHERN COLORADO
February 1, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS CONTINUES ROAD TRIP SATURDAY NIGHT AT WEBER STATE
January 30, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS THREE-GAME ROAD TRIP ON THURSDAY AT IDAHO STATE
January 25, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME SATURDAY NIGHT VS. EASTERN WASHINGTON
January 24, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS CRUISES TO 69-48 HOME WIN OVER IDAHO
January 23, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME; HOST IDAHO ON THURSDAY NIGHT AT 7 PM
January 18, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS TO PLAY ROAD MATINEE ON SATURDAY AT SOUTHERN UTAH
January 15, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS BEGINS BRIEF ROAD TRIP THURSDAY AT NORTHERN ARIZONA
January 12, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS DROPS LAST SECOND HEART BREAKER TO IDAHO STATE, 72-70
January 10, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS IDAHO STATE ON SATURDAY FOR KIDS NIGHT
January 4, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS GETS SET FOR SATURDAY MATINEE AT MONTANA STATE
December 27, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS BIG SKY PLAY ON SATURDAY AT HOME VS NORTHERN COLORADO
December 21, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL LEADS AT HALFTIME, BUT EVENTUALLY FALLS AT WASHINGTON
December 19, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL TRAVELS TO WASHINGTON FOR FRIDAY NIGHT GAME AT 6 PM
December 11, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL USES LATE 29-2 RUN TO BEAT HOLY NAMES, 81-56
December 10, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME TUESDAY NIGHT VS. HOLY NAMES AT 7 PM
December 8, 2018 MEN’S HOOPS DROPS TO 4-2 AFTER 76-67 LOSS AT PORTLAND
December 6, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL WRAPS UP ROAD TRIP ON SATURDAY AT PORTLAND
December 5, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL ADDS HOME GAME ON THURSDAY, DEC. 13
November 27, 2018 HUGE WEEK LANDS GRAVES BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK HONORS
November 24, 2018 MEN’S HOOPS NOW 3-0 AFTER 87-82 OVERTIME WIN AGAINST CAL STATE FULLERTON
November 16, 2018 FRIDAY NIGHT’S MEN’S BASKETBALL HOME GAME AGAINST CAL POLY POSTPONED
November 14, 2018 SECOND GAME OF THE SEASON: MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS CAL POLY
September 26, 2018 MEN’S HOOPS SEASON ON THE HORIZON, FIRST OFFICIAL TEAM PRACTICE IS FRIDAY
September 12, 2018 FORMER MEN’S BASKETBALL HEAD COACH DON NEWMAN PASSES AWAY
July 24, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL RELEASES THE 2018-19 SCHEDULE
July 19, 2018 THE NEST RECEIVES A BRAND NEW FLOOR DESIGN