Full set of game notes (26 pages) - pdf
Big Sky Conference standings
• Fresh off a close home loss to Northern Colorado to open the Big Sky Conference season on Saturday, the Hornets (6-4, 0-1) will play their first conference road game of the year on Thursday at Montana (9-4, 2-0). Tip-off at Dahlberg Arena is 6:05 p.m. PST.
• In that game against Northern Colorado, Sacramento State squandered a five-point lead late, allowing the Bears to close the final 2:30 on a 12-2 run to win, 70-65.
• The Hornets posted their best non-conference winning percentage (6-3, .667) during the Div. I era (1991-pres.) and were Northern Colorado's late run shy of improving to 7-3 overall for the first time in 30 years.
• Still, the team's 6-4 record is its best since 2015-16 season, and matches its best 10-game mark during the Div. I era - the 2005-06, 2012-13 and 2015-16 teams also accomplished the feat. Both the 2005-06 and 2015-16 teams went on to 7-4 starts.
• The Hornets are 1-3 on the road this season, which includes a 20-point win at Cal State Northridge on Dec. 1. The Hornets have dropped two straight road contests, including defats at Portland and Washington. Sacramento State had a three-point halftime lead before eventually falling at Washington.
• The Hornets remain just victory away from matching last season's injury-riddled win total when the team finished 7-25 overall and 4-14 in league.
• One big reason for the Hornets' improved record is the return of senior guard Marcus Graves who missed all of last year with a back injury. So far in 2018-19, he is averaging 14.7 points, 5.7 rebounds, 5.6 assists and 2.2 steals per contest.
• Sacramento State went 1-8 on the road against Big Sky teams last season, including four straight losses.
• One of those losses was a two-point overtime loss (71-69) to Montana. In that game, the Hornets squandered a five-point regulation lead with under three minutes to play.
• Sacramento State is 9-40 all-time against Montana, including a 2-23 record in Missoula. However, each of the last three meetings at Dahlberg Arena between the two teams have been decided by seven points or less. That includes the Hornets' 67-65 win during the 2016-17 season.
• Montana will enter Thursday's game on a three-game winning streak with each of those wins coming on the road. The Grizzlies, who are the defending Big Sky regular season and tournament champions, were picked to finish first in both the conference's preseason coaches and media polls.
• Montana is 4-0 at home, and has won 19 straight games at Dahlberg Arena dating back to the 2016-17 season.
• Every game the remainder of the season can be viewed live and free on Pluto.TV. All home games can be found on Pluto.TV channel 233. The Pluto broadcasts can be watched online at Pluto.TV or by downloading the app for your mobile device.
• Thursday's game can be found on Pluto.TV, channel 237.
• Every game this year will be broadcast live on ESPN 1320 AM with 22nd-year play-by-play man Steve McElroy calling all the action.
• Links for all multimedia options, including live stats for every game, can be found next to each game on the men's basketball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
Sacramento State's full set of game notes can be found by clicking on the link above the story.
March 2, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS IN SHOOTOUT AT IDAHO, 94-90
February 23, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS SHOOTING GOES COLD IN 65-57 ROAD LOSS AT PORTLAND STATE
February 20, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS CONCLUDES HOMESTAND THURSDAY NIGHT VS. WEBER STATE
February 16, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS FALLS AT HOME TO NORTHERN ARIZONA
February 14, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS CONTINUES HOMESTAND THURSDAY NIGHT VS. SOUTHERN UTAH
February 11, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL NEVER TRAILS IN 78-67 HOME WIN OVER PORTLAND STATE
February 9, 2019 LATE SURGE DOOMS MEN’S HOOPS IN 65-59 ROAD LOSS AT NORTHERN COLORADO
February 1, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS CONTINUES ROAD TRIP SATURDAY NIGHT AT WEBER STATE
January 30, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS THREE-GAME ROAD TRIP ON THURSDAY AT IDAHO STATE
January 25, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME SATURDAY NIGHT VS. EASTERN WASHINGTON
January 24, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS CRUISES TO 69-48 HOME WIN OVER IDAHO
January 23, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME; HOST IDAHO ON THURSDAY NIGHT AT 7 PM
January 18, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS TO PLAY ROAD MATINEE ON SATURDAY AT SOUTHERN UTAH
January 15, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS BEGINS BRIEF ROAD TRIP THURSDAY AT NORTHERN ARIZONA
January 12, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS DROPS LAST SECOND HEART BREAKER TO IDAHO STATE, 72-70
January 10, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS IDAHO STATE ON SATURDAY FOR KIDS NIGHT
January 4, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS GETS SET FOR SATURDAY MATINEE AT MONTANA STATE
December 27, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS BIG SKY PLAY ON SATURDAY AT HOME VS NORTHERN COLORADO
December 21, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL LEADS AT HALFTIME, BUT EVENTUALLY FALLS AT WASHINGTON
December 19, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL TRAVELS TO WASHINGTON FOR FRIDAY NIGHT GAME AT 6 PM
December 11, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL USES LATE 29-2 RUN TO BEAT HOLY NAMES, 81-56
December 10, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME TUESDAY NIGHT VS. HOLY NAMES AT 7 PM
December 8, 2018 MEN’S HOOPS DROPS TO 4-2 AFTER 76-67 LOSS AT PORTLAND
December 6, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL WRAPS UP ROAD TRIP ON SATURDAY AT PORTLAND
December 5, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL ADDS HOME GAME ON THURSDAY, DEC. 13
November 27, 2018 HUGE WEEK LANDS GRAVES BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK HONORS
November 24, 2018 MEN’S HOOPS NOW 3-0 AFTER 87-82 OVERTIME WIN AGAINST CAL STATE FULLERTON
November 16, 2018 FRIDAY NIGHT’S MEN’S BASKETBALL HOME GAME AGAINST CAL POLY POSTPONED
November 14, 2018 SECOND GAME OF THE SEASON: MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS CAL POLY
September 26, 2018 MEN’S HOOPS SEASON ON THE HORIZON, FIRST OFFICIAL TEAM PRACTICE IS FRIDAY
September 12, 2018 FORMER MEN’S BASKETBALL HEAD COACH DON NEWMAN PASSES AWAY
July 24, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL RELEASES THE 2018-19 SCHEDULE
July 19, 2018 THE NEST RECEIVES A BRAND NEW FLOOR DESIGN