Full set of game notes (26 pages) - pdf
Big Sky Conference standings
• Off to one its best starts in program history, Sacramento State (4-1) wraps up a three-game road trip on Saturday at Portland (5-5). Tip-off at the Chiles Center is 7:05 p.m.
• The Hornets have not played since a 20-point win (88-68) on the road at Cal State Northridge last Saturday. The game marked the Hornets' largest margin of victory on the road since a 74-49 win at Utah Valley on Dec. 27, 2014.
• The Hornets' 4-1 record matches their best start after five games in program history (1948-pres.). The 2015-16, 2014-15, 2012-13, 1999-00, 1988-89, 1987-88, 1985-86, 1972-73 and 1952-53 squads also accomplished the feat.
• A win on Saturday would allow the Hornets to improve to 5-1 for just the seventh time in program history, and first since the 2012-13 squad began the year 5-1.
• Sacramento State's win over CSUN completed a four-game stretch where the Hornets went 3-1 against Big West Conference teams, including victories over UC Davis (58-55) and Cal State Fullerton (87-82 in OT).
• The Hornets added a home game to their schedule on Thursday, Dec. 13, against NAIA's Westcliff at 7:05 p.m. Sacramento State's game on Nov. 16 against Cal Poly was postponed due to poor air quality related to the Camp Fire, and the two teams could not find an amicable date to make up the game this season.
• The Hornets will take on a Portland team that is currently 5-5 and has lost three straight. They are coming off an 87-78 loss at Portland State on Wednesday night. Portland won its first four home games of the season until falling in its most recent home game to Texas State, 91-68, on Nov. 24.
• Both the Hornets and Pilots have not played at home since Nov. 24.
• Sacramento State has scored at least 87 points in two of the last three games, but its the defense that has shined thus far. The Hornets currently rank among the nation's top 20 teams (there are 353 Div. I teams) in 3-point field goal percentage defense (10th, .258), steals per game (12th, 9.6) and turnovers forced per game (19th, 17.8).
• Sacramento State is 2-11 all-time against Portland, which includes an 80-75 loss last season at the downtown Golden 1 Center in Sacramento. That game was the first of a doubleheader that featured Kansas taking on Stanford in the nightcap.
• The Hornets are 1-7 when playing the Pilots in Portland with the lone win coming in the first round of the CIT (73-66) on March 18, 2015. That was the final victory of the Hornets' 2014-15 season in which they finished with a 21-12 record. The teams' most recent game in Portland was an 81-73 Pilot victory on Dec. 12, 2015.
• Each of the last four meetings between the two schools have been decided by eight points or less.
• Saturday's game will be video streamed live and free on TheW.tv.
• Every game this year will be broadcast live on ESPN 1320 AM with 22nd-year play-by-play man Steve McElroy calling all the action.
• All Sacramento State home games inside the Nest, and road games played against a Big Sky Conference team, will be video streamed for free on Pluto TV and WatchBigSky.com. The Pluto broadcasts can be watched online at Pluto.TV or by downloading the app for your mobile device. Home games can be found on Pluto.TV channel 233.
• Links for all multimedia options, including live stats for every game, can be found next to each game on the men's basketball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
February 20, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS CONCLUDES HOMESTAND THURSDAY NIGHT VS. WEBER STATE
February 16, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS FALLS AT HOME TO NORTHERN ARIZONA
February 14, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS CONTINUES HOMESTAND THURSDAY NIGHT VS. SOUTHERN UTAH
February 11, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL NEVER TRAILS IN 78-67 HOME WIN OVER PORTLAND STATE
February 9, 2019 LATE SURGE DOOMS MEN’S HOOPS IN 65-59 ROAD LOSS AT NORTHERN COLORADO
February 1, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS CONTINUES ROAD TRIP SATURDAY NIGHT AT WEBER STATE
January 30, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS THREE-GAME ROAD TRIP ON THURSDAY AT IDAHO STATE
January 25, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME SATURDAY NIGHT VS. EASTERN WASHINGTON
January 24, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS CRUISES TO 69-48 HOME WIN OVER IDAHO
January 23, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME; HOST IDAHO ON THURSDAY NIGHT AT 7 PM
January 18, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS TO PLAY ROAD MATINEE ON SATURDAY AT SOUTHERN UTAH
January 15, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS BEGINS BRIEF ROAD TRIP THURSDAY AT NORTHERN ARIZONA
January 12, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS DROPS LAST SECOND HEART BREAKER TO IDAHO STATE, 72-70
January 10, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS IDAHO STATE ON SATURDAY FOR KIDS NIGHT
January 4, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS GETS SET FOR SATURDAY MATINEE AT MONTANA STATE
December 27, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS BIG SKY PLAY ON SATURDAY AT HOME VS NORTHERN COLORADO
December 21, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL LEADS AT HALFTIME, BUT EVENTUALLY FALLS AT WASHINGTON
December 19, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL TRAVELS TO WASHINGTON FOR FRIDAY NIGHT GAME AT 6 PM
December 11, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL USES LATE 29-2 RUN TO BEAT HOLY NAMES, 81-56
December 10, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME TUESDAY NIGHT VS. HOLY NAMES AT 7 PM
December 8, 2018 MEN’S HOOPS DROPS TO 4-2 AFTER 76-67 LOSS AT PORTLAND
December 6, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL WRAPS UP ROAD TRIP ON SATURDAY AT PORTLAND
December 5, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL ADDS HOME GAME ON THURSDAY, DEC. 13
November 27, 2018 HUGE WEEK LANDS GRAVES BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK HONORS
November 24, 2018 MEN’S HOOPS NOW 3-0 AFTER 87-82 OVERTIME WIN AGAINST CAL STATE FULLERTON
November 16, 2018 FRIDAY NIGHT’S MEN’S BASKETBALL HOME GAME AGAINST CAL POLY POSTPONED
November 14, 2018 SECOND GAME OF THE SEASON: MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS CAL POLY
September 26, 2018 MEN’S HOOPS SEASON ON THE HORIZON, FIRST OFFICIAL TEAM PRACTICE IS FRIDAY
September 12, 2018 FORMER MEN’S BASKETBALL HEAD COACH DON NEWMAN PASSES AWAY
July 24, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL RELEASES THE 2018-19 SCHEDULE
July 19, 2018 THE NEST RECEIVES A BRAND NEW FLOOR DESIGN