Full set of game notes (26 pages) - pdf
• Winners of three straight games to start the season, Sacramento State (3-0) will play its first road game on Thursday at UC Santa Barbara (5-1). The Hornets and Gauchos will tip at The Thunderdome at 7:05 p.m.
• Sacramento State will attempt to start the season 4-0 for the first time since the 2015-16 team won its first four games of the season.
• This will be the third leg of a stretch of four straight games against Big West Conference competition. Sacramento State has already defeated the reigning Big West regular season champion (UC Davis) and the conference's reigning tournament champion (Cal State Fullerton). Fullerton was picked to finish second in this year's Big West preseason media poll, UC Davis was selected to third, and UC Santa Barbara picked fourth.
• Sacramento State is coming off an 87-82 overtime home win against Cal State Fullerton on Saturday. The Hornets would have played five straight games against Big West opponents, but had their Nov. 16 game vs. Cal Poly postponed due to poor air quality related the Camp Fire. Sacramento State also plays CSUN this Saturday.
• The Hornets currently rank among the nation's top 10 teams (there are 353 Div. I teams) in 3-point field goal percentage defense (2nd, .214), steals per game (3rd, 11.3), rebounds per game (7th, 45.0) and turnovers forced per game (10th, 19.3).
• The Hornets have played their first three games in Sacramento (including the win over UC Davis at the downtown Golden 1 Center), but will now embark upon a season-high tying three-game road trip.
• The Gauchos currently have a 5-1 record and are off to their best start since the 2007-08 season. UCSB has won four straight, including a pair of wins over Big Sky Conference opposition - 88-69 vs. Montana State, and 76-69 vs. Portland State.
• In a series that dates back to 1953, Sacramento State is 1-5 all-time against UC Santa Barbara, which includes an 82-72 loss to the Gauchos inside the Nest a year ago. The Hornets are 1-2 when playing in Santa Barbara, including the team's lone win in the series, 51-50, at The Thunderdome on Feb. 23, 2013.
• The Hornets are coming off an injury plagued 2017-18 season in which the team finished 7-25 overall and 4-14 in the Big Sky Conference. The Hornets had won at least 13 games five consecutive seasons until the seven-win output a year ago.
• The Hornets welcome back eight players and a redshirt from a year ago, including three starters. That includes six of the top eight scorers from last season.
• UC Santa Barbara returns just one starter from last year's 23-9/11-5 team, and that one starter is junior guard Max Heidegger, who has yet to play a game because of a concussion. Heidegger averaged 19.1 points per game a year ago.
• Saturday's game will be video streamed live on Big West TV.
• All Sacramento State home games inside the Nest, and road games played against a Big Sky Conference team, will be video streamed for free on Pluto TV and WatchBigSky.com. The Pluto broadcasts can be watched online at Pluto.TV or by downloading the app for your mobile device. Home games can be found on Pluto.TV channel 233.
• Every game this year will be broadcast live on ESPN 1320 AM with 22nd-year play-by-play man Steve McElroy calling all the action.
• Links for all multimedia options, including live stats for every game, can be found next to each game on the men's basketball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
March 2, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS IN SHOOTOUT AT IDAHO, 94-90
February 23, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS SHOOTING GOES COLD IN 65-57 ROAD LOSS AT PORTLAND STATE
February 20, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS CONCLUDES HOMESTAND THURSDAY NIGHT VS. WEBER STATE
February 16, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS FALLS AT HOME TO NORTHERN ARIZONA
February 14, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS CONTINUES HOMESTAND THURSDAY NIGHT VS. SOUTHERN UTAH
February 11, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL NEVER TRAILS IN 78-67 HOME WIN OVER PORTLAND STATE
February 9, 2019 LATE SURGE DOOMS MEN’S HOOPS IN 65-59 ROAD LOSS AT NORTHERN COLORADO
February 1, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS CONTINUES ROAD TRIP SATURDAY NIGHT AT WEBER STATE
January 30, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS THREE-GAME ROAD TRIP ON THURSDAY AT IDAHO STATE
January 25, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME SATURDAY NIGHT VS. EASTERN WASHINGTON
January 24, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS CRUISES TO 69-48 HOME WIN OVER IDAHO
January 23, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME; HOST IDAHO ON THURSDAY NIGHT AT 7 PM
January 18, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS TO PLAY ROAD MATINEE ON SATURDAY AT SOUTHERN UTAH
January 15, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS BEGINS BRIEF ROAD TRIP THURSDAY AT NORTHERN ARIZONA
January 12, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS DROPS LAST SECOND HEART BREAKER TO IDAHO STATE, 72-70
January 10, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS IDAHO STATE ON SATURDAY FOR KIDS NIGHT
January 4, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS GETS SET FOR SATURDAY MATINEE AT MONTANA STATE
December 27, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS BIG SKY PLAY ON SATURDAY AT HOME VS NORTHERN COLORADO
December 21, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL LEADS AT HALFTIME, BUT EVENTUALLY FALLS AT WASHINGTON
December 19, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL TRAVELS TO WASHINGTON FOR FRIDAY NIGHT GAME AT 6 PM
December 11, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL USES LATE 29-2 RUN TO BEAT HOLY NAMES, 81-56
December 10, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME TUESDAY NIGHT VS. HOLY NAMES AT 7 PM
December 8, 2018 MEN’S HOOPS DROPS TO 4-2 AFTER 76-67 LOSS AT PORTLAND
December 6, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL WRAPS UP ROAD TRIP ON SATURDAY AT PORTLAND
December 5, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL ADDS HOME GAME ON THURSDAY, DEC. 13
November 27, 2018 HUGE WEEK LANDS GRAVES BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK HONORS
November 24, 2018 MEN’S HOOPS NOW 3-0 AFTER 87-82 OVERTIME WIN AGAINST CAL STATE FULLERTON
November 16, 2018 FRIDAY NIGHT’S MEN’S BASKETBALL HOME GAME AGAINST CAL POLY POSTPONED
November 14, 2018 SECOND GAME OF THE SEASON: MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS CAL POLY
September 26, 2018 MEN’S HOOPS SEASON ON THE HORIZON, FIRST OFFICIAL TEAM PRACTICE IS FRIDAY
September 12, 2018 FORMER MEN’S BASKETBALL HEAD COACH DON NEWMAN PASSES AWAY
July 24, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL RELEASES THE 2018-19 SCHEDULE
July 19, 2018 THE NEST RECEIVES A BRAND NEW FLOOR DESIGN