Game notes full set (27 pages) - pdf
• Sacramento State will play its second game of the 2018-19 season when the Hornets (1-0) host Cal Poly (1-1) on Friday inside the Nest at 6:05 p.m.
• The game is part of a doubleheader that will see the Sacramento State women take on Ohio State at 8:35 p.m.
• The game against Cal Poly is the second leg of a stretch that will see the Hornets play their first four games in Sacramento, including the annual rivalry matchup against UC Davis at the Golden 1 Center on Tuesday.
• Sacramento State kicked off the season with a 76-52 win over Simpson, which is an NAIA institution from Redding. The Hornets led by double figures the final 17:40.
• In a series that dates back to 1950, the Hornets are 16-29 against Cal Poly. The two teams haven't played since a 77-51 Mustang win in San Luis Obispo on Nov. 30, 2011.
• The Hornets have won the last three meetings between the two teams in Sacramento, including a 71-67 win in 2010-11, 80-59 win in 2005-06, and 73-70 victory in 1997-98. Cal Poly has not won in Sacramento since a 102-86 victory on Jan. 20, 1996.
• A win would allow the Hornets to start 2-0 for just the second time in the last five years - the 2015-16 team started with a 4-0 record.
• Sacramento State played one exhibition game, and that came on Nov. 2 in a 103-55 home win over Bethesda. Seven different Hornets scored in double figures, including all five starters. No Hornet played more than 22 minutes.
• The Hornets are coming off an injury plagued 2017-18 season in which the team finished 7-25 overall and 4-14 in the Big Sky Conference. The Hornets had won at least 13 games five consecutive seasons until the seven-win output a year ago.
• The Hornets welcome back eight players and a redshirt from a year ago, including three starters. That includes six of the top eight scorers from last season.
• Add in Marcus Graves, who is back after averaging 13.9 points in 2016-17, and Sacramento State should have lots of fire power this season. Graves missed all of last season after undergoing back surgery.
• Cal Poly, who has six players on the roster standing at 6-foot-7 or taller, will bring a 1-1 record into Friday's game. The Mustangs defeated Menlo College at home (82-75) before losing on the road at Arizona on Sunday (82-61).
• Cal Poly was selected to finish eighth in the Big West Conference preseason media poll. The Mustangs return six players and three starters from last year's team which finished 9-22 and 4-12 in league. Cal Poly has eight newcomers on this year's roster.
• All Sacramento State home games (including Friday), and road games played against a Big Sky Conference team, will be video streamed for free on Pluto TV and WatchBigSky.com. The Pluto broadcasts can be watched online at Pluto.TV or by downloading the app for your mobile device. Home games can be found on Pluto.TV channel 233.
• Every game this year will be broadcast live on ESPN 1320 AM with 22nd-year play-by-play man Steve McElroy calling all the action.
• Links for all multimedia options, including live stats for every game, can be found next to each game on the men's basketball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
Sacramento State's complete set of game notes can be found by clicking here or the link above the story.
December 11, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL USES LATE 29-2 RUN TO BEAT HOLY NAMES, 81-56
December 10, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME TUESDAY NIGHT VS. HOLY NAMES AT 7 PM
December 8, 2018 MEN’S HOOPS DROPS TO 4-2 AFTER 76-67 LOSS AT PORTLAND
December 6, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL WRAPS UP ROAD TRIP ON SATURDAY AT PORTLAND
December 5, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL ADDS HOME GAME ON THURSDAY, DEC. 13
November 27, 2018 HUGE WEEK LANDS GRAVES BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK HONORS
November 24, 2018 MEN’S HOOPS NOW 3-0 AFTER 87-82 OVERTIME WIN AGAINST CAL STATE FULLERTON
November 16, 2018 FRIDAY NIGHT’S MEN’S BASKETBALL HOME GAME AGAINST CAL POLY POSTPONED
November 14, 2018 SECOND GAME OF THE SEASON: MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS CAL POLY
September 26, 2018 MEN’S HOOPS SEASON ON THE HORIZON, FIRST OFFICIAL TEAM PRACTICE IS FRIDAY
September 12, 2018 FORMER MEN’S BASKETBALL HEAD COACH DON NEWMAN PASSES AWAY
July 24, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL RELEASES THE 2018-19 SCHEDULE
July 19, 2018 THE NEST RECEIVES A BRAND NEW FLOOR DESIGN