Full set of game notes (28 pages) - pdf
• Sacramento State kicks off the 2018-19 season at home on Friday night vs. Simpson at 7:05 p.m. inside the Nest.
• It marks the first time in five years the Hornets are opening the season at home. The previous four season openers came at Colorado State, Colorado, Arizona State and Gonzaga, respectively.
• Simpson resides in Redding, Calif., and is an NAIA institution that plays in the California Pacific Conference. The Redhawks have already played four times this year, and currently have a 3-1 record.
• Sacramento State and Simpson have played each other three times in the past, with the Hornets winning each time. In fact, Sacramento State has defeated Simpson by an average of 38.7 points during those three victories (all coming inside the Nest).
• In the teams' last meeting, the Hornets were victorious, 74-42, on Nov. 19, 2014. In that game (box score on page 10), three Hornets scored in double figures led by Cody Demps' 16 points and Dylan Garrity's 10 points.
• Sacramento State played one exhibition game, and that came last Friday in a 103-55 home win over Bethesda. Seven different Hornets scored in double figures, including all five starters. No Hornet played more than 22 minutes.
• The Hornets are coming off an injury plagued 2017-18 season in which the team finished 7-25 overall and 4-14 in the Big Sky Conference. The Hornets had won at least 13 games in five consecutive seasons until the seven-win output a year ago.
• In addition, the team had finished at or above .500 in Big Sky play three times the previous four seasons until going 4-14 in league.
• Last year's injuries primarily affected the back court. The quartet of guards Marcus Graves (32), Jiday Ugbaja (26), Jeff Wu (7) and Izayah Mauriohooho-Le'afa (2) combined to miss 67 games last season because of injury.
• The Hornets welcome back eight players and a redshirt from a year ago, including three starters. That includes six of the top eight scorers from last season.
• Add in Marcus Graves, who is back after averaging 13.9 points in 2016-17, and Sacramento State should have lots of fire power this season. Graves missed all of last season after undergoing back surgery.
• Entering its 28th season as a Div. I member, the Hornets are 8-19 in season openers since making the jump to Div. I prior to the 1991-92 season. However, the team has won four of the last seven season openers, including a 66-63 win at Arizona State in 2015.
• Simpson's most recent game was an 88-77 home win on Monday over Notre Dame de Namur. That game was an upset as Simpson is NAIA while N.D. de Namur is Div. II.
• Beginning on Friday, all Sacramento State home games, and road games played against a Big Sky Conference team, will be video streamed for free on Pluto TV and WatchBigSky.com. The Pluto broadcasts can be watched online at Pluto.TV (home games on channel 233) or by downloading the app for your mobile device.
• Every game this year will be broadcast live on ESPN 1320 AM with 22nd-year play-by-play man Steve McElroy calling all the action.
• Links for all multimedia options, including live stats for every game, can be found next to each game on the men's basketball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
For all 28 pages of Sacramento State's game notes, click here or the link above the story.
March 2, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS IN SHOOTOUT AT IDAHO, 94-90
February 23, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS SHOOTING GOES COLD IN 65-57 ROAD LOSS AT PORTLAND STATE
February 20, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS CONCLUDES HOMESTAND THURSDAY NIGHT VS. WEBER STATE
February 16, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS FALLS AT HOME TO NORTHERN ARIZONA
February 14, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS CONTINUES HOMESTAND THURSDAY NIGHT VS. SOUTHERN UTAH
February 11, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL NEVER TRAILS IN 78-67 HOME WIN OVER PORTLAND STATE
February 9, 2019 LATE SURGE DOOMS MEN’S HOOPS IN 65-59 ROAD LOSS AT NORTHERN COLORADO
February 1, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS CONTINUES ROAD TRIP SATURDAY NIGHT AT WEBER STATE
January 30, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS THREE-GAME ROAD TRIP ON THURSDAY AT IDAHO STATE
January 25, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME SATURDAY NIGHT VS. EASTERN WASHINGTON
January 24, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS CRUISES TO 69-48 HOME WIN OVER IDAHO
January 23, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME; HOST IDAHO ON THURSDAY NIGHT AT 7 PM
January 18, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS TO PLAY ROAD MATINEE ON SATURDAY AT SOUTHERN UTAH
January 15, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS BEGINS BRIEF ROAD TRIP THURSDAY AT NORTHERN ARIZONA
January 12, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS DROPS LAST SECOND HEART BREAKER TO IDAHO STATE, 72-70
January 10, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS IDAHO STATE ON SATURDAY FOR KIDS NIGHT
January 4, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS GETS SET FOR SATURDAY MATINEE AT MONTANA STATE
December 27, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS BIG SKY PLAY ON SATURDAY AT HOME VS NORTHERN COLORADO
December 21, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL LEADS AT HALFTIME, BUT EVENTUALLY FALLS AT WASHINGTON
December 19, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL TRAVELS TO WASHINGTON FOR FRIDAY NIGHT GAME AT 6 PM
December 11, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL USES LATE 29-2 RUN TO BEAT HOLY NAMES, 81-56
December 10, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME TUESDAY NIGHT VS. HOLY NAMES AT 7 PM
December 8, 2018 MEN’S HOOPS DROPS TO 4-2 AFTER 76-67 LOSS AT PORTLAND
December 6, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL WRAPS UP ROAD TRIP ON SATURDAY AT PORTLAND
December 5, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL ADDS HOME GAME ON THURSDAY, DEC. 13
November 27, 2018 HUGE WEEK LANDS GRAVES BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK HONORS
November 24, 2018 MEN’S HOOPS NOW 3-0 AFTER 87-82 OVERTIME WIN AGAINST CAL STATE FULLERTON
November 16, 2018 FRIDAY NIGHT’S MEN’S BASKETBALL HOME GAME AGAINST CAL POLY POSTPONED
November 14, 2018 SECOND GAME OF THE SEASON: MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS CAL POLY
September 26, 2018 MEN’S HOOPS SEASON ON THE HORIZON, FIRST OFFICIAL TEAM PRACTICE IS FRIDAY
September 12, 2018 FORMER MEN’S BASKETBALL HEAD COACH DON NEWMAN PASSES AWAY
July 24, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL RELEASES THE 2018-19 SCHEDULE
July 19, 2018 THE NEST RECEIVES A BRAND NEW FLOOR DESIGN