Men's Basketball Hall of Fame
SACRAMENTO -- Dylan Garrity, who established himself as one of the greatest players in program history, will be inducted into the Sacramento State Men's Basketball Hall of Fame in October, while area prep coaches Dale Natividad, Derek Swafford and Eddie Wilson will be inducted into the Coaches Circle.
The event, tabbed the 11th annual Men's Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Banquet, will take place at the Alumni Center on the south end of campus on Tuesday, Oct. 30, at 5:30 p.m. Please click here for online registration.
In addition, as part of the festivities, head coach Brian Katz will introduce every member of the 2018-19 Hornet squad and preview the season.
Garrity, who played from 2011-15, will become the 17th player inducted into the Men's Basketball Hall of Fame. Natividad, Swafford and Wilson will be among the seventh round of inductees into the Coaches Circle, a wing of the Sacramento State Men's Basketball Hall of Fame established in 2012 to honor area coaches that graduated from Sacramento State. A timeline of coaching stops for each of the three coaches can be found below.
Garrity, who is Sacramento State's all-time leader in assists, games started and minutes, helped the Hornets improve their conference record all four years of his career. That included the team's 21-12 overall, and 13-5 conference marks in 2014-15 when Sacramento State came within a basket of winning the Big Sky regular season championship. Career highlights for Garrity can be found below.
In 16 years as Sacramento High School's head varsity coach, Swafford accumulated 433 wins, 15 league championships, six Sac-Joaquin Section banners and 11 trips to the CIF NorCal tournament. Natividad has seven league championships under his belt while also accumulating a section title and a state runner-up finish. Wilson accumulated nearly 300 wins at Fairfield High School while coaching the team to six league championships and four appearances in the section title game.
For a complete list of every member of the Sacramento State Coaches Circle, please click here. For a list of each player inducted into the Hall of Fame, please click here.
• Sacramento State's all-time leader in assists (527), games started (116) and minutes played (3,991).
• His 527 career assists are also the sixth most in Big Sky Conference history.
• Ranks among Sacramento State's top eight players in 14 different career categories.
• In program history (1948-pres.), he also ranks tied for third in games played (119), fourth in free throws made (316), fifth in 3-pointers made (222), 3-pointers attempted (532) and 3-point percentage (.417), sixth in free throws attempted (378) and free throw percentage (.836), seventh in points (1,406), minutes per game (33.5) and assists per game (4.4), and eighth in field goals made (434).
• Became first player in school history to receive all-Big Sky Conference mention all four years of his career; second team as a senior, honorable mention during each of his first three seasons.
• Named Big Sky Freshman of the Year.
• Buried the "Hail Garrity", a 75-footer at the overtime buzzer that beat Weber State in overtime, and was No. 1 on ESPN's Top 10 Plays of the Day.
• Started all but three of the 119 games he appeared.
• Missed just one game during his four-year career.
• Set the Sacramento State Div. I single-game record with 16 assists in a home win against Montana State on Feb. 9, 2012.
• Raised scoring average every year of his career, from 8.1 ppg as a freshman, to 11.6 ppg as a sophomore, 13.2 ppg as a junior, and 13.9 ppg during his senior year.
• Shot better than 40 percent from the 3-point line each of his final three seasons.
• Scored in double figures 76 times over the course of his four-year career.
• Helped Sacramento State improve its Big Sky Conference record every season of his career, culminating in a program-best 13-5 in 2014-15.
• Garrity was the team captain of the 2014-15 team that became the first Hornet squad in the Div. I era to finish above the .500 mark (21-12), post the second most wins in school history and win the program's first postseason game in 53 years (CIT road win at Portland).
Las Palmas Junior High - Head Coach - 1973-78
Norte Del Rio High School - Head Junior Varsity Coach - 1978-82
Norte Del Rio High School - Assistant Girls Varsity Coach - 1981-82
Grant High School - Head Girls Varsity Coach - 1982-83
Grant High School - Head Junior Varsity Coach - 1982-83
Foothill High School - Head Varsity Coach - 1983-91
Oakmont High School - Assistant Junior Varsity Coach - 1991-92
Roseville High School - Assistant Varsity Coach - 1992-94
Woodcreek High School - Head Varsity Coach - 1994-98
Elk Grove High School - Assistant Varsity Coach - 1989-90
Valley High School - Head Freshman Coach - 1990-92
Valley High School - Head Junior Varsity Coach - 1992-94
Valley High School - Assistant Varsity Coach - 1994-96
Sacramento Legends Women's Pro Team - Head Coach - 1996-97
Natomas High School - Head Women's Varsity Coach - 1997-00
Sacramento High School - Head Varsity Coach - 2000-16
Rex & Margaret Early College High School - Head Varsity Coach - 2016-pres.
Vanden High School - Head Junior Varsity Coach - 1996-97
Vanden High School - Assistant Varsity Coach - 1997-98
Vanden High School - Head Freshman Coach - 1998-99
El Camino High School - Head Freshman Coach - 1999-00
El Camino High School - Assistant Varsity Coach - 2000-01
Fairfield High School - Head Varsity Coach - 2001-11
Solano Community College - Assistant Coach - 2011-13
Fairfield High School - Head Varsity Coach - 2013-17
September 12, 2018 FORMER MEN’S BASKETBALL HEAD COACH DON NEWMAN PASSES AWAY
July 24, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL RELEASES THE 2018-19 SCHEDULE
July 19, 2018 THE NEST RECEIVES A BRAND NEW FLOOR DESIGN