SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- After a monster season in which he averaged 17.9 points and 7.0 rebounds per game, Sacramento State senior forward Justin Strings was named second team all-District 6, it was announced today by the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC).
Strings becomes just the second player in Sacramento State's Div. I era (1991-pres.) to receive all-district accolades, joining Mikh McKinney who was named to the first team in 2015 and the second team in 2014.
District 6 is made up of players from the Big Sky Conference and Western Athletic Conference. Of the 10 players selected from the district (five on the first team, five on the second team), seven were from the Big Sky, including Strings.
• Named second team all-Big Sky Conference, becoming just the second Hornet to be named all-conference on three occasions (Dylan Garrity was named all-league four times) since Sacramento State joined the Big Sky prior to the 1996-97 season. Strings was a second team all-league choice as a junior, and honorable mention selection as a sophomore.
• A team captain, Strings finished the season averaging 17.9 points, 7.0 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 0.9 blocked shots and 36.2 minutes per game while shooting 43% (223-522) from the field.
• Started all 32 games, and scored in double figures in 30 of those contests. That included 11 games with at least 20 points, highlighted by a 34-point game vs. Portland State, a 31-point game vs. Montana State, and 30 vs. Northern Colorado in the regular season finale.
• The Carson, Calif., native made 157 trips to the free throw line (4.9 per game), and the 17.9 points per game average is the third best single-season mark in Sacramento State's Div. I era.
• Had scored in double figures in 47 straight games dating back to Dec. 29, 2016, but had that streak snapped at Northern Arizona with two weeks left in the regular season. That had been the fifth longest active streak in the nation. Still, Strings scored in double figures in 50 of the final 52 games of his career.
• Ranked first in the Big Sky in minutes, fifth in scoring, rebounding and defensive rebounds (5.6 per game), and 10th in blocked shots.
• In conference play, he bumped his scoring average to 19.5 points per game (4th in the league) while ranking first in minutes played at 37.9 per game.
• The fourth-year senior established himself as one of the greatest scorers in Sacramento State history, finishing with 1,570 points. That is the top mark in Sacramento State's Div. I era (1991-pres.), and the second best mark in program history (1948-pres.).
• In 70 years of basketball at Sacramento State, only one player scored more points than Strings -- Robert "Money" Martin scored 1,774 points during the Div. II era from 1985-89.
• After averaging just 0.8 points in 4.2 minutes per game as a freshman, Strings scored 482 points (15.5 ppg) as a sophomore, 494 (15.9 ppg) as a junior, and 573 (17.9 ppg) this season.
• In program history (1948-pres.), he ranks second in points (1,570), minutes (3,260) and field goals made (584), third in field goals attempted (1,313), tied for third in games played (119), fourth in rebounds (622) and free throws attempted (399), eighth in 3-pointers made (145) and starts (83), ninth in free throws made (257) and blocked shots (68), and 10th in 3-pointers attempted (415).
February 21, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL BEGINS FINAL REGULAR SEASON ROAD TRIP THURSDAT AT NAU
February 17, 2018 STRINGS ACHIEVES HUGE MILESTONE; MEN’S HOOPS FALLS TO WEBER STATE
February 16, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL HOSTS WEBER STATE ON SATURDAY FOR WHITEOUT THE NEST
February 9, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS PLAYS AT MONTANA ON SATURDAY NIGHT
February 7, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL LOOKS FOR SERIES SWEEP OF MONTANA STATE ON THURSDAY
February 3, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS AT HOME TO IDAHO
February 2, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL HOSTS IDAHO ON SATURDAY NIGHT AT 7 PM
January 26, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS CONCLUDES ROAD TRIP SATURDAY AFTERNOON AT PORTLAND STATE
January 20, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL DROPS SECOND GAME OF ROAD TRIP TO IDAHO STATE
January 19, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS PLAYS AT IDAHO STATE ON SATURDAY NIGHT
January 18, 2018 LATE RUN DOOMS MEN’S BASKETBALL IN LOSS TO WEBER STATE
January 17, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS ROAD TRIP ON THURSDAY AT WEBER STATE
January 12, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL TO HOST MONTANA STATE ON SATURDAY FOR KIDS DAY
January 11, 2018 MONTANA USES BIG SECOND HALF TO BEAT MEN’S BASKETBALL, 78-66
January 10, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS BACK IN THE NEST ON THURSDAY VS. MONTANA AT 7 P.M.
January 3, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS PLAYS FIRST BIG SKY ROAD GAME THURSDAY AT IDAHO
January 2, 2018 STRINGS RECEIVES BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK ACCOLADES
January 1, 2018 STRINGS NAMED THE NATIONAL MID-MAJOR PLAYER OF THE WEEK
December 29, 2017 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS BIG SKY PLAY AT HOME SATURDAY VS. PORTLAND STATE
December 23, 2017 MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS AT HOME TO UC SANTA BARBARA, 82-72
December 22, 2017 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS UC SANTA BARBARA ON SATURDAY IN FINAL NON-LEAGUE GAME
December 21, 2017 MEN’S HOOPS FALLS TO PORTLAND, 80-75, IN GOLDEN 1 CENTER MATCHUP
December 20, 2017 MEN'S HOOPS PLAYS PORTLAND AT THE GOLDEN 1 CENTER ON THURSDAY AT 5:30 PM
December 18, 2017 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME TUESDAY VS. CSUN
December 9, 2017 MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS AT BOISE STATE
December 3, 2017 MEN'S BASKETBALL TO PLAY SAINT MARY'S ON THE ROAD MONDAY NIGHT
November 24, 2017 BACK AND FORTH GAME GOES FULLERTON’S WAY IN 68-63 WIN OVER MEN’S HOOPS
November 23, 2017 MEN’S BASKETBALL DROPS FIRST ROUND WOODEN LEGACY GAME TO SAN DIEGO STATE
November 21, 2017 UC DAVIS USES LATE RUN TO EVENTUALLY BEAT MEN’S BASKETBALL
November 20, 2017 MEN'S BASKETBALL PLAYS UC DAVIS ON TUESDAY AT THE GOLDEN 1 CENTER
November 17, 2017 MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS ON THE ROAD AT SAN FRANCISCO
November 16, 2017 MEN'S BASKETBALL BACK ON THE ROAD FRIDAY NIGHT AT SAN FRANCISCO
November 8, 2017 MEN’S BASKETBALL SIGNS DAMIEN HIGH SCHOOL GUARD ELIJAH McCULLOUGH
November 7, 2017 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS REGULAR SEASON FRIDAY AT COLORADO STATE
October 23, 2017 GRAVES OUT FOR THE SEASON WITH INJURY
October 17, 2017 MEN’S BASKETBALL RELEASES ITS 2017-18 SCHEDULE
September 18, 2017 BOISE’S CENTURYLINK ARENA TO HOST BIG SKY BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT FROM 2019-22
August 24, 2017 HORNSBY SIGNS CONTRACT TO PLAY PROFESSIONALLY IN GERMANY