Full set of game notes (25 pages) - pdf
Big Sky Conference standings
• After 13 non-league games, Sacramento State (3-10, 0-0) will open Big Sky Conference play against Portland State (10-3, 0-0) on Saturday at 7:05 p.m. inside the Nest.
• This year marks the Hornets' 22nd year in the Big Sky as the program joined the league, along with Portland State, prior to the 1996-97 season.
• The Hornets will play 18 Big Sky games, resulting in the normal Thursday and/or Saturday matchups. Every team will qualify for this year's Big Sky Tournament in Reno.
• Sacramento State is coming off an 82-72 home loss to UC Santa Barbara last Saturday. That loss marked the Hornets' first inside the Nest this year, and snapped a four-game home winning streak which dated back to last season.
• The Hornets are 3-1 at home this year and 55-19 (.743 winning percentage) inside the Nest dating back to the 2012-13 season.
• Sacramento State's 3-10 record is the team's worst mark entering league play since the 2008-09 squad entered the Big Sky portion of the schedule with a 1-12 record.
• The Hornets have played the entire season without senior guard and team co-captain Marcus Graves (back) who had started 62 straight games. In addition, the team played the first 10 games without guard Jiday Ugbaja (leg) who made his return last week, combining for 27 minutes over three games as he works his way back into shape.
• Portland State has won six of its last seven games, including a 25-point win (106-81) at Cal in its last game on Dec. 21. The Vikings enter the Big Sky portion of the schedule with a 10-3 record, their best mark in school history entering league play.
• The Vikings, who employ a frenetic full-court press, rank third in the nation in scoring (93.6 ppg), first in steals (12.9) and first in turnovers forced (23.0).
• Portland State is led by senior guard Deontae North who ranks second in the Big Sky in scoring at 20.3 ppg. Senior guard Bryce Canda is sixth in the league at 18.1 ppg.
• Sacramento State is 16-29 all-time against Portland State, including an 11-10 record in Big Sky play against the Vikings inside the Nest.
• The teams split the season series a year ago with each team winning on its home floor. That included an 80-77 Hornet overtime win in the Nest in which Sacramento State overcame a nine-point deficit with 2:05 to play. In that game, Jiday Ugbaja hit three free throws with 0.9 seconds remaining to force overtime.
• Five of the last six meetings between the two teams inside the Nest have been decided by six points or less. Two of those games went to overtime.
• Free video streams will be provided for every game (home or away) the rest of the season at www.WatchBigSky.com.
• Every game this year will be broadcast live on KTKZ 1380 AM The Answer with 21st-year play-by-play man Steve McElroy calling all the action.
• Fans outside the Sacramento area can listen to all games via www.hornetsports.com. Saturday's game can be found by clicking here.
• Links for all multimedia options, including live stats, can be found next to each game on the men's basketball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
For the complete set of game notes, please click here.
February 21, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL BEGINS FINAL REGULAR SEASON ROAD TRIP THURSDAT AT NAU
February 17, 2018 STRINGS ACHIEVES HUGE MILESTONE; MEN’S HOOPS FALLS TO WEBER STATE
February 16, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL HOSTS WEBER STATE ON SATURDAY FOR WHITEOUT THE NEST
February 9, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS PLAYS AT MONTANA ON SATURDAY NIGHT
February 7, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL LOOKS FOR SERIES SWEEP OF MONTANA STATE ON THURSDAY
February 3, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS AT HOME TO IDAHO
February 2, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL HOSTS IDAHO ON SATURDAY NIGHT AT 7 PM
January 26, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS CONCLUDES ROAD TRIP SATURDAY AFTERNOON AT PORTLAND STATE
January 20, 2018 MEN’S BASKETBALL DROPS SECOND GAME OF ROAD TRIP TO IDAHO STATE
January 19, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS PLAYS AT IDAHO STATE ON SATURDAY NIGHT
January 18, 2018 LATE RUN DOOMS MEN’S BASKETBALL IN LOSS TO WEBER STATE
January 17, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS ROAD TRIP ON THURSDAY AT WEBER STATE
January 12, 2018 MEN'S BASKETBALL TO HOST MONTANA STATE ON SATURDAY FOR KIDS DAY
January 11, 2018 MONTANA USES BIG SECOND HALF TO BEAT MEN’S BASKETBALL, 78-66
January 10, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS BACK IN THE NEST ON THURSDAY VS. MONTANA AT 7 P.M.
January 3, 2018 MEN'S HOOPS PLAYS FIRST BIG SKY ROAD GAME THURSDAY AT IDAHO
January 2, 2018 STRINGS RECEIVES BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK ACCOLADES
January 1, 2018 STRINGS NAMED THE NATIONAL MID-MAJOR PLAYER OF THE WEEK
December 29, 2017 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS BIG SKY PLAY AT HOME SATURDAY VS. PORTLAND STATE
December 23, 2017 MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS AT HOME TO UC SANTA BARBARA, 82-72
December 22, 2017 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS UC SANTA BARBARA ON SATURDAY IN FINAL NON-LEAGUE GAME
December 21, 2017 MEN’S HOOPS FALLS TO PORTLAND, 80-75, IN GOLDEN 1 CENTER MATCHUP
December 20, 2017 MEN'S HOOPS PLAYS PORTLAND AT THE GOLDEN 1 CENTER ON THURSDAY AT 5:30 PM
December 18, 2017 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME TUESDAY VS. CSUN
December 9, 2017 MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS AT BOISE STATE
December 3, 2017 MEN'S BASKETBALL TO PLAY SAINT MARY'S ON THE ROAD MONDAY NIGHT
November 24, 2017 BACK AND FORTH GAME GOES FULLERTON’S WAY IN 68-63 WIN OVER MEN’S HOOPS
November 23, 2017 MEN’S BASKETBALL DROPS FIRST ROUND WOODEN LEGACY GAME TO SAN DIEGO STATE
November 21, 2017 UC DAVIS USES LATE RUN TO EVENTUALLY BEAT MEN’S BASKETBALL
November 20, 2017 MEN'S BASKETBALL PLAYS UC DAVIS ON TUESDAY AT THE GOLDEN 1 CENTER
November 17, 2017 MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS ON THE ROAD AT SAN FRANCISCO
November 16, 2017 MEN'S BASKETBALL BACK ON THE ROAD FRIDAY NIGHT AT SAN FRANCISCO
November 8, 2017 MEN’S BASKETBALL SIGNS DAMIEN HIGH SCHOOL GUARD ELIJAH McCULLOUGH
November 7, 2017 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS REGULAR SEASON FRIDAY AT COLORADO STATE
October 23, 2017 GRAVES OUT FOR THE SEASON WITH INJURY
October 17, 2017 MEN’S BASKETBALL RELEASES ITS 2017-18 SCHEDULE
September 18, 2017 BOISE’S CENTURYLINK ARENA TO HOST BIG SKY BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT FROM 2019-22
August 24, 2017 HORNSBY SIGNS CONTRACT TO PLAY PROFESSIONALLY IN GERMANY