MEN'S HOOPS SEEKS 7TH STRAIGHT HOME WIN SATURDAY VS. NORTHERN COLO.
Winners of six of the last seven games, and six straight home games, Sacramento State (12-12, 8-7) will host Northern Colorado (16-8, 10-5) on Saturday night…tip-off at The Nest is set for 7:05 p.m…as part of a "Whiteout The Nest" promotion, free shirts will be distributed to the first 500 fans in attendance…the Hornets are coming off Thursday's 71-65 home victory over North Dakota in which Sacramento State didn't trail the final 38:46 of the contest…the Hornets have won six straight conference games at home, including a recent 4-0 homestand…the team's six-game winning streak at home is the best since the 2005-06 squad ripped off seven straight home wins…the Hornets' six-game home winning streak against conference competition is the longest since joining the Big Sky in 1996-97…since dropping its first three conference games of the season, Sacramento State is 8-4 in its last 12 Big Sky contests…the Hornets have moved into a five-way tie for third place in the league standings as they try to position themselves for an appearance in the Big Sky Tournament for the first time since the 2005-06 season…the top seven teams in the 11-member league qualify for the Big Sky's postseason event, and only five games remain in the regular season…the Hornets are now 9-2 at home with one of those losses coming in overtime to Portland State…the Hornets' 6-1 record over the last seven games matches the best seven-game run in the program's Div. I history (1991-pres.)…during the seven-game run, the Hornets are averaging 76.0 points while shooting .501 from the field and .462 from the 3-point line…Northern Colorado has won three straight games, including its second road win of the conference season Thursday night at NAU (74-59)…the Bears sit in second place in the league standings, just a game behind first-place Weber State (11-4)…the Bears defeated the Hornets earlier this year in Greeley (72-62) in a game where UNC attempted 19 more free throws…Sacramento State is 4-11 all-time against Northern Colorado, including a 2-5 record when playing at The Nest…Saturday's contest can be seen live and free in High Definition on WatchBigSky.com…the game can be heard over the airwaves on KTKZ 1380 AM with 17th-year play-by-play man Steve McElroy calling the action…live stats are available at hornetsports.com.
QUICK NOTABLES ON THE SEASON
• The current six-game home winning streak is the longest since the 2005-06 team won seven in a row.
• The team's six-game home winning streak against Big Sky competition is the longest since joining the league in 1996-97.
• Overall, the Hornets have won six of their last seven games, matching the 2005-06 squad for the best seven-game run in the team's Div. I era (1991-pres.).
• The Hornets have tied their high water mark for Big Sky wins (8) since joining the league in 1996-97 (2004-05 and 2012-13 squads also won eight).
• At 12-12, the Hornets have a shot to finish the season with an overall record above the .500 mark for the first time since joining the Div. I ranks in 1991.
• At 8-7, the Hornets have the opportunity to finish with a Big Sky record above .500 for just the second time since joining the league in 1996-97. The 2004-05 squad finished 8-6 in league. The 2003-04 squad owns the high water mark for Big Sky finish (T-2nd).
• The team recently completed its first 4-0 homestand since the 1981-82 season.
For Sacramento State's complete set of game notes, click on the link above the story.