Text-Only Site


VIDEO: The Final Seven Seconds

VIDEO: Full Game Highlights And Garrity Interview

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – In possibly the wildest finish in The Nest's history, Sacramento State junior point guard Dylan Garrity buried a 75-footer at the buzzer to deliver an improbable 78-75 overtime win against Big Sky Conference-leading Weber State on Saturday evening.

In a wild overtime that featured three technical fouls (one on Sacramento State, two on Weber State) during the final 15 seconds, the Wildcats' Davion Berry nailed a 3-pointer with 0.7 seconds left to tie the game at 75-75. The Hornets' Cody Demps then inbounded the ball to Garrity, who turned and fired a shot from the opposite free throw line that hit nothing but net.

After the ball fell in, the place erupted and fans stormed the court while officials immediately went to the press table to review the shot on replay. After the court was cleared and 90 tense seconds later, the officials ruled it a good basket and the second on-court celebration ensued.

"Cody did a great job of quickly inbounding the ball, I let it go, and God did the rest," Garrity said. "I hit a buzzer beater once before as a kid, but nothing like this shot. This was against the top team in the conference, and a huge win for us.

"To be honest with you, I wasn't sure if I got the shot off in time. As soon as I saw it go in, it was a very surreal moment. I got tackled by Joey (Quigley) and everyone else, and was sitting on the bottom of the dog pile. This win was a momentum booster, we have two more home games next week, and we're going to keep pushing."

Not only did Garrity's prayer get answered, Sacramento State (8-11, 4-6) was able to beat a Weber State (11-7, 8-2) squad that sits in first place in the Big Sky standings. The Hornets had lost 12 straight to the Wildcats, and were just 4-35 all-time against Weber State.

In a game which featured 17 ties scores and 18 lead changes, no team led by more than eight points the entire game. The overtime featured a combined 33 points after the two teams were deadlocked at 60-60 at the end of regulation. The extra session saw the score tied on five different occasion as Weber State took its last lead at 72-71 on a pair of Berry free throws with 15 seconds remaining.

Sacramento State head coach Brian Katz had just been whistled for a technical for arguing a foul call on Nick Hornsby. Weber State was in the double bonus, and combined with the technical, allowed Berry to step to the free throw line for four free throws. After missing the first two, Berry knocked down the final two to give the Wildcats the 72-71 lead.

On the Hornets' ensuing possession, Garrity's pass to Mikh McKinney was deflected and a series of Hornet and Wildcat bodies hit the floor scrambling for the loose orange. Berry ended up with the ball and called a timeout with seven seconds to play, but Weber State was out of timeouts resulting in a technical foul. Wildcat head coach Randy Rahe then was called for a subsequent technical for running onto the floor.

McKinney buried all four free throws to give the Hornets a 75-72 lead. Weber State wasn't finished, however, as Berry knocked down a 3-pointer with 0.7 seconds left to tie the score at 75-75. That's when Garrity took Demps' inbounds pass and launched the buzzer beater that not only gave the Hornets their first win over Weber State in seven years, but also allowed Sacramento State to improve to 2-0 on its current four-game homestand.

The Hornets finished the game shooting .417 (25-60) from the field and .862 (25-29) from the free throw line. Sacramento State held a large advantage in both second-chance points (23-12) and points off the bench (25-4). Four Hornets scored in double figures, including McKinney who posted a career-high tying 30 points and six assists in 42 minutes. Garrity had 13 points and four assists in 42 minutes.

Sacramento State also received big performances from a pair of true freshman as center Eric Stuteville posted season highs in points (14), rebounds (9) and minutes (30), and Hornsby added season bests in points (11) and minutes (26). It was Hornsby's offensive rebound and putback with 34 seconds remaining that gave Sacramento State a 71-70 lead.

For Weber State, which shot almost an identical percentage (.412) as the Hornets, Berry had 29 points, including 13-of-17 from the free throw line. Kyle Tresnak added 20 points, Jeremy Senglin had 16 points and Joel Bolomboy tallied four points and 15 rebounds.

Sacramento State finishes its four-game homestand over the next nine days, including Thursday against Northern Arizona and Monday, Feb. 10, vs. Southern Utah. Both games will begin at 7:05 p.m.