2013-14 Quick Facts
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The Sacramento State men's basketball team, guided by sixth-year head coach Brian Katz, begins its preseason practice schedule on Friday, Sept. 27, at 6 a.m.
The Hornets are beginning their practice schedule earlier than ever before. The NCAA passed legislation in April that teams can now hold their first practice two weeks earlier than before which allows teams to have 30 days of practice in the six weeks before the first regular season game.
After Friday, practice will continue five days a week leading up to the team's lone home exhibition game on Friday, Nov. 1, against Menlo at 7:05 p.m. The Hornets' season opener and home opener is Friday, Nov. 8, against UC Santa Cruz at 7:35 p.m. The season opener is part of a doubleheader that will see the Sacramento State women take on Cal State Northridge at 5:05 p.m.
The Hornets have just four non-conference home games on the schedule, including Nov. 30 vs. UC Irvine and Dec. 29 against UC Riverside. The Big Sky Conference portion of the season, which includes 20 games (10 at home, and 10 on the road), begins on Jan. 2.
Below are some notes heading into the 2013-14 season.
• Although Sacramento State lost three starters from a year ago, the Hornets do return arguably one of the best back courts in the Big Sky Conference in junior point guard Dylan Garrity and junior shooting guard Mikh McKinney. The two will share the team captain duties this season. Garrity will enter his third season with the Hornets and has been the team's starting point guard since the moment he stepped foot on campus. McKinney transferred from Ohlone College prior to last season and burst onto the scene by averaging 12.3 points, 3.3 rebounds and 2.6 assists. The duo combined to average 23.9 points and 7.6 assists per game while shooting .418 from the field, .392 from the 3-point line and .832 from the free throw line. Garrity, who was the Big Sky Freshman of the Year two seasons ago, was named honorable mention all-league for the second straight year.
• Overall, the Hornets return eight players and a redshirt from a season ago. The 14-man roster is comprised of three seniors, five juniors, three sophomores and three freshmen. The team is guard-heavy this season with eight different players who could see time at one of the guard positions.
• The Hornets did lose four of their top six scorers in forward John Dickson (1st; 12.8 ppg), center Konner Veteto (4th; 10.2 ppg), swingman Joe Eberhard (5th; 6.9 ppg) and shooting guard Jackson Carbajal (6th; 3.3 ppg). In all, Sacramento State lost five players from a season ago, and those five players combined to average nearly 50 percent (.498) of the team's total offensive production.
• Sacramento State's 14-15 overall record and 8-12 conference mark from a season ago could have been much better if not for the four one-point losses during league play.
• Sacramento State's 14 victories were the most in seven years, and the second most during the program's Div. I era (1991-pres.). The Hornets also posted eight conference wins, tying for the most since joining the Big Sky in 1996-97. The team has now increased its conference win total four straight seasons.
• Brian Katz, who will be entering his sixth season with the program in 2013-14, received a new five-year contract in July, lengthening his tenure as the Hornets' head coach through at least the 2017-18 season.
• Sacramento State went 10-4 at home in 2012-13, the program's most wins inside the Nest in eight years, and tied for the most during the Div. I era (1991-pres.).
• The team allowed opponents just 65.7 points per game, the best mark in over 40 years (the 1970-71 squad allowed 64.7 points per game).
• The Hornets never lost more than two games in a row, and were at or above the .500 mark all season until the final game of the year.
• Nineteen of the team's 29 games were decided by a single digit outcome, the most games decided by nine points or less since the 1983-84 squad also played 19 games decided by single digits.
• Sacramento State had four players finish the season averaging double figures in points for the first time since the 2006-07 season. Two of those players (forward John Dickson, center Konner Veteto) were lost to expired eligibility.
• The Hornets have converted at least one three-pointer in 548 straight games, a streak which dates back to Nov. 28, 1993.
• Academically, of the 18 Hornets that have expired their eligibility under Coach Katz, 17 have graduated.
• Sophomore guard Dreon Barlett, who wore #20 last season, will switch his jersey number to #1.
• All regular-season home contests, and road games played at a Big Sky Conference venue can again be seen live and free via webcast at www.WatchBigSky.com.
• Steve McElroy returns for his 17th season as the radio voice of the Hornets, and every regular season game this year can be heard locally on KTKZ 1380 AM The Answer. Broadcasts will also be streamed live and free on iHeart radio and on www.hornetsports.com.
• After two seasons as Sacramento State's director of men's basketball operations, Chris Walker was elevated to assistant coach. In addition, Nate Smith, who spent two years as the team manager, was promoted to director of basketball operations. The pair will join head coach Brian Katz, associate head coach Brandon Laird and assistant coach Ajay Riding on the sidelines. This will be Riding's fifth season and Laird's third year on the Hornet coaching staff.
May 23, 2014 HORNET HOOPS GOLF TOURNAMENT SET FOR MONDAY, JUNE 9
April 28, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS TO HOST SEASON WRAPUP/SIGNING PARTY ON MAY 8
March 10, 2014 TICKETS AVAILABLE FOR BIG SKY MEN'S BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT
February 28, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS PLAYS FINAL REGULAR SEASON ROAD GAME SATURDAY AT IDAHO ST.
February 27, 2014 WINNING STREAK SNAPPED, MEN'S BASKETBALL FALLS AT WEBER STATE, 79-67
February 26, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS TRAVELS TO WEBER STATE ON THURSDAY, SEEKS 4TH STRAIGHT WIN
February 24, 2014 VOTE GARRITY’S 75-FOOT SHOT FOR GEICO PLAY OF THE YEAR
February 24, 2014 McKINNEY NAMED BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK FOR A SECOND TIME
February 22, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL CONTINUES TO ROLL AFTER CRUSHING NORTHERN COLORADO
February 21, 2014 FREE WHITEOUT SHIRTS TO THE FIRST 500 FANS AT SATURDAY’S HOOPS GAME
February 21, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS SEEKS 7TH STRAIGHT HOME WIN SATURDAY VS. NORTHERN COLO.
February 19, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS SEEKS 6TH STRAIGHT HOME WIN THURSDAY VS. NORTH DAKOTA
February 14, 2014 MEN'S BASKETBALL TRAVELS TO PORTLAND STATE ON SATURDAY
February 13, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL HAS WINNING STREAK SNAPPED AT EASTERN WASHINGTON
February 12, 2014 WINNERS OF FOUR STRAIGHT, MEN'S HOOPS TRAVELS TO EASTERN WASHINGTON
February 10, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS BEATS SOUTHERN UTAH, COMPLETES HOMESTAND WITH 4-0 RECORD
February 9, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS SEEKS 4TH STRAIGHT WIN, HOSTS SOUTHERN UTAH ON MONDAY
February 6, 2014 WINNING STREAK AT THREE AFTER MEN’S HOOPS DISMANTLES NAU, 87-70
February 5, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME THURSDAY NIGHT VS. NORTHERN ARIZONA
February 3, 2014 McKINNEY NAMED BIG SKY MEN’S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
January 31, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL’S SIXTH-ANNUAL ALUMNI GAMES TAKE PLACE SATURDAY
January 31, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS HOST BIG SKY-LEADING WEBER STATE ON SATURDAY NIGHT
January 29, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS LONG HOMESTAND THURSDAY VS. IDAHO STATE
January 25, 2014 BIG DISPARITIES HURT IN MEN’S HOOPS LOSS AT NORTHERN COLORADO
January 24, 2014 ROAD WEARY MEN'S HOOPS PLAYS AT NORTHERN COLORADO ON SATURDAY
January 23, 2014 NORTH DAKOTA USES LATE RUN TO BEAT MEN’S BASKETBALL
January 21, 2014 MEN'S BASKETBALL BACK ON THE ROAD THURSDAY AT NORTH DAKOTA
January 18, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL KNOCKS OFF EASTERN WASHINGTON AT HOME, 75-64
January 17, 2014 MEN'S BASKETBALL HOSTS EASTERN WASHINGTON ON SATURDAY NIGHT
January 15, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS FINALLY RETURNS HOME, HOSTS PORTLAND STATE ON THURSDAY
January 11, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS CRUSHES SOUTHERN UTAH, ENDS ROAD TRIP IN A BIG WAY
January 10, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS ROAD TRIP COMES TO AN END SATURDAY AT SOUTHERN UTAH
January 8, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS CONTINUES ROAD TRIP THURSDAY AT NORTHERN ARIZONA
January 2, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL DROPS BIG SKY OPENER AT MONTANA STATE
December 31, 2013 MEN'S BASKETBALL OPENS BIG SKY PLAY THURSDAY AT MONTANA STATE
December 29, 2013 LATE FREE THROWS HELP DELIVER 69-67 MEN’S HOOPS WIN OVER UC RIVERSIDE
December 27, 2013 AFTER LONG LAYOFF, MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS UC RIVERSIDE SUNDAY AFTERNOON
December 21, 2013 BIG SECOND HALF FUELS CAL STATE FULLERTON TO VICTORY OVER MEN’S HOOPS
December 19, 2013 MEN'S BASKETBALL PLAYS AT CAL STATE FULLERTON ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON
December 14, 2013 MEN’S HOOPS CRUISES TO 85-54 WIN OVER WILLIAM JESSUP
December 12, 2013 MEN'S BASKETBALL HOSTS WILLIAM JESSUP ON SATURDAY AT 7 P.M.
December 7, 2013 UTEP USES HEALTHY FREE THROW ADVANTAGE TO BEAT MEN’S BASKETBALL
December 4, 2013 MEN'S HOOPS TRAVELS TO EL PASO FOR FIRST EVER MEETING WITH UTEP
November 30, 2013 UC IRVINE USES BIG SECOND HALF TO DEFEAT MEN’S BASKETBALL
November 29, 2013 MEN'S BASKETBALL HOSTS UC IRVINE SATURDAY NIGHT AT 7 P.M.
November 26, 2013 MEN'S BASKETBALL COMES THROUGH WITH CLUTCH WIN AT UC DAVIS, 73-67
November 25, 2013 MEN'S HOOPS AND UC DAVIS TO PLAY FOR THE 112TH TIME ON TUESDAY
November 18, 2013 MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS TO #22 UCLA
November 15, 2013 MEN'S BASKETBALL TRAVELS TO #24 UCLA ON MONDAY
November 13, 2013 MEN’S BASKETBALL SIGNS MIRA COSTA HIGH SCHOOL FORWARD JUSTIN STRINGS
November 13, 2013 BAKERSFIELD HOT FROM DISTANCE IN 74-66 WIN OVER MEN’S BASKETBALL
November 12, 2013 MEN'S BASKETBALL BEGINS ROAD TRIP WEDNESDAY AT CSU BAKERSFIELD
November 8, 2013 MEN’S BASKETBALL BEATS UC SANTA CRUZ, 73-43, IN SEASON OPENER
November 6, 2013 MEN'S BASKETBALL GETS UNDERWAY FRIDAY NIGHT VS. UC SANTA CRUZ
November 5, 2013 2013-14 MEN’S BASKETBALL MEDIA GUIDE NOW AVAILABLE
October 28, 2013 2013-14 MEN'S BASKETBALL SEASON OUTLOOK
October 17, 2013 BIG SKY MEN’S BASKETBALL COACHES AND MEDIA PRESEASON POLLS RELEASED
September 24, 2013 MEN’S BASKETBALL SEASON COMING FAST, FIRST OFFICIAL PRACTICE ON FRIDAY
July 23, 2013 MEN’S BASKETBALL RELEASES ITS 2013-14 SCHEDULE