SACRAMENTO STATE FOOTBALL TAILGATING GUIDELINES
Aug. 25, 2017 - please check for updates throughout the season
Fans are invited to come support the Sacramento State football team’s Hornet Walk 2 hours and 15 minutes before kickoff each home game (3:45 for 6 p.m. Kick-Off). The Hornet Walk takes place down the center lane of Parking Lot 8 (please see map).
Hornet fans and parents of football players are encouraged to set up along the Hornet Walk route on the center lane of Parking Lot 8 (please see map).
BE SAFE AND LEGAL
Everyone is subject to laws governing minors in possession, open intoxicants, consumption on a public highway, open intoxicants in a motor vehicle and various other laws. Failure to comply with tailgating guidelines will result in citation, arrest, or withdrawal of consent to remain on campus.
Tailgating is a great part of the football game-day experience, and fans are encouraged to tailgate prior to Hornet home games. Parking lots will be open four (4) hours before kickoff and tailgating begins two (2) hours prior to kick-off. All tailgating must be concluded at kickoff time. Tailgating is a great part of the football game-day experience, and fans are encouraged to tailgate prior to Hornet home games. Parking lots will be open four (4) hours before kickoff and tailgating begins two (2) hours prior to kick-off. All tailgating must be concluded at kickoff time.
Tailgating is only permitted in Lots 7 and 8 as follows:
- Hornet Club Tailgate Area – Lot 8, in front of Alumni Center
- Sac State Fans – Lot 8
- Home Team Fans and Parents – Lot 8 surrounding Hornet Walk
- Students – Lot 8, North
- Visiting Team – Lot 7, South
Alcohol is not permitted outside this area. Consumption of alcohol in non-designated areas of campus is prohibited. Alcohol consumption is only allowed two (2) hours prior to kick-off.
Fans may tailgate around their vehicles but may not take up more than one parking space for their tailgates. Tailgating is not permitted in the parking structures or in any parking lots north of the Parking Structure III.
- Alcohol consumption is permitted only during the two (2) hours prior to kick-off.
- California laws pertaining to the possession, consumption and distribution of alcohol and controlled substances will be enforced by Sacramento State University Police. Drinking is illegal for anyone under the age of 21.
- Please use cans instead of bottles; kegs are not allowed.
- Overnight camping is prohibited.
- Tailgating activities must not interfere with or obstruct travel lanes and sidewalks.
- No tailgating is allowed at halftime. There is no re-entry to Hornet Stadium.
- All tailgate areas must be cleared within one (1) hour after the conclusion of the game.
- Banners or signage, tabling, sampling or guerilla marketing recognizing businesses or products may not be displayed without express consent of the Intercollegiate Athletics. Please contact a representative from Hornets Sports Properties three days prior to a home football game for all signage approval. Contact: (916) 278-2301
- Individuals participating in tailgate activities are expected to clean up their respective areas prior to departing Sacramento State. Recyclable and trash receptacles will be provided throughout the tailgating area. Please make every attempt to take trash with you. Violators will be assessed a fee for cleanup should service be necessary. Please dispose of charcoals in designated coal barrels only. Hot coals are not to be put in trash cans, on grass areas or on the pavement in the parking/tailgating areas.
- All tents, beyond the standard 10’x10’ size and tailgate set up must be approved in advance by Intercollegiate Athletics, prior to being permitted in the tailgate area. Contact the Hornet Club office at (916) 278-4269.
- Kegs and bags of alcoholic beverages are prohibited. Abusive drinking, drinking games and devices used or intended for the rapid consumption of alcoholic beverages are prohibited. Public intoxication will not be tolerated, and violators are subject to arrest.
- Non-portable furniture (i.e. couches) is prohibited in the tailgate area.
- THE UNIVERSITY WILL NOT BE PROVIDING A HOSTED DJ/STAGE AREA IN THE STUDENT TAILGATE AREA. DJ’s and/or other amplified performances will be allowed only if approved in advance by the Intercollegiate Athletics Department.
- The University is now a 100% Smoke and Tobacco Free Campus. Smoking, chewing, vape pens and all other forms of tobacco are all strictly prohibited at Sacramento State including the Tailgate Area.
- Portable generators are not allowed in the tailgating area.
- Standing on top of any vehicle is prohibited.
- Portable restroom facilities are located in all parking areas around Hornet Stadium.
- The sale and distribution of food or beverages of any kind is strictly prohibited in all tailgating areas, unless individuals receive prior approval. Contact: (916) 278-2301.
- Any violation of the tailgating guidelines may result in immediate termination of tailgating privileges, criminal prosecution (i.e., misdemeanor ticketing), and/or disciplinary action through the Sacramento State Conduct Office
Sales of Alcohol Inside the Stadium:
- A maximum of two alcoholic beverages can be purchased per each transaction by individuals who are 21 years or older whose age has been verified per ABC requirements and this procedure. Sales may commence one hour prior to the start of the athletics event and will end after the midpoint of the athletic event (e.g. start of the third quarter for football).
- Attendees are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages into the facility (or designated grounds) and are not permitted to leave the facility with alcohol.
- The sale and service of alcohol to persons who are thought to be intoxicated is prohibited.
- It is within the University’s discretion to deny the sale and/or service of alcohol to persons believed to be providing alcohol to other individuals who have not been verified as being over 21 years of age or who otherwise refuse to comply with any request made by university personnel with regards to the handling of such alcohol.