SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The Sacramento State football team presented its annual team award on Sunday, Nov. 24, at the Alumni Center. Along with the individual awards, the coaching staff honored each of the team's 12 seniors.
Junior quarterback Garrett Safron was voted the Team Most Valuable Player after his record-breaking season. Senior linebacker Todd Davis earned his second straight Defensive MVP award while wide receiver DeAndre Carter was the Offensive MVP. Punter Justin Weldon was the recipient of the Ray Clemons Award.
||Team MVP -
• Set the Sacramento State single season record with 294 completions, 460 attempts, 3,289 yards and 27 touchdowns. His yardage total is 504 yards more than the previous record.
• Earned three Big Sky Offensive Player of the Week awards.
• Started all 11 games and threw multiple touchdowns in five contests.
• Set the school record by tossing seven touchdowns against Southern Oregon.
• His 554 passing yards at Portland State and 412 against Montana are the top two single-game totals in school history.
• Also led the team with 607 rushing yards and seven touchdowns.
• Finished the year with 3,781 yards of total offense and accounted for 34 touchdowns. Both of those totals set school records.
||Ray Clemons Award -
• Set the Sacramento State single-season and career records for punting.
• Finished his career with an average of 44.2 which breaks a record which has held since 1969.
• Set the single-season record with an average of 44.9.
• His 78 yard punt against UC Davis is the longest in school history. The previous long was 75 yards set in 1973.
|Offensive MVP -
• Led the team with 934 receiving yards and 15 total touchdowns.
• His 14 TD receptions tied Mike Carter's school record from 1969 while his yardage total ranks eighth.
• Had 12 catches in two different games which is tied for the third most in school history.
• Set the school record and Big Sky mark with five touchdown receptions against Southern Oregon.
|Defensive MVP -
• Ranks second in school history with 351 career tackles and is eighth with 30 career TFLs.
• Has led the team in tackles the last three season, including a total of 131 this season.
• His 10.0 tackles-for loss also led the team while 5.0 sacks were second.
• His 131 tackles this season are the fifth most in school history and the most since 2004.
• Has been a two-time all-Big Sky selection.
|Most Inspirational -
• Concludes his career with 23 receptions for 190 yards and five touchdowns.
• Caught 11 passes this season with a TD.
|Most Improved -
• After recording nine tackles in 2012, Mazza had 35 this season, including 4.5 for loss.
• Started all 12 games at defensive tackles.
• Set career high with six tackles against Northern Colorado.
|Special Teams MVP -
• Led the team with 12 tackles on special teams during the season.
• Stepped into the lineup in place of the injured Markell Williams and recorded 28 tackles over last three games of the season.
|Outstanding Defensive Back -
• Started the first nine games of the season before suffering an injury at Cal Poly.
• Ranked fourth on the team with 57 total tackles. Included in that total were 4.0 tackles-for-loss and two sacks.
• Finishes his career with 126 total tackles with 4.5 sacks and two interceptions.
• Is a three-time Big Sky all-academic recipient.
|Outstanding Offensive Back -
• Earned all-Big Sky honors after each of his first three seasons.
• Set career highs this season with 81 receptions for 870 yards and four touchdowns.
• His reception total is the second highest in school history.
• Ends his career ranked second in nearly every statistical category with 214 catches for 2,650 yards and 19 touchdowns.
|Outstanding Defensive Lineman -
• Appeared in 43 games during his career, including starting each game this season.
• Had 41 tackles in 2013 and ranked third on the team with 8.0 TFLs.
• Ended his career with 79 total tackles, 14.0 TFLs and nine sacks.
|Outstanding Offensive Lineman -
• Tied the school record by starting all 45 games of his career.
• Was second team all-Big Sky following last year and was a preseason all-league selection heading into this season.
|Outstanding Defensive Scout Team Player -|
|Outstanding Offensive Scout Team Player -|