Jul 12, 2019
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - The 2019 season of Hornet baseball may have concluded in June, but many Hornets are still rolling right along as 14 different players are participating in summer leagues around the country and in Canada.
Notes from the Summer
- 11 of 14 Hornets are playing with teammates this summer, including three (Bacho, Gibbons, Tabura) for the Humboldt crabs and two each for the Casper Horseheads (Dunham, Iwasa), Wenatchee Applesox (McPhillips, Ohlsen), Bethesda Big Train (Torres, Vincelli-Simard), and the Badlands Bigsticks (Walstad, Zalasky).
- Dawsen Bacho is having an excellent summer with the Humboldt Crabs. As of July 12, Bacho leads all Hornets playing summer ball with a .347 batting average. He has 18 RBIs and 11 extra-base hits in 25 games.
- Among pitchers, Evan Gibbons has had a strong summer for the Crabs as well, going 3-2 with a 2.55 ERA in five games (all starts). He has struck out 31 in 24.2 innings.
- Keith Torres and Martin Vincelli-Simard have helped lead the Bethesda Big Train to the top of the Cal Ripken League. They have an eight-game lead on the second place team.
- Torres has swiped 14 bags this summer, most among active Hornets. He also has 24 walks in 25 games (led the WAC with 50 walks last season).
- Hornets players have found success with the Big Train in recent years. Former Hornets James Outman (2017) and Vinny Espostio (2016) were each named the Cal Ripken League's Most Outstanding Player while playing with Bethesda.