RESOURCES FOR THE STUDENT-ATHLETE EXPERIENCE
The Sacramento State Student-Athlete Advisory Council consists of representatives from each Hornet Sports program. The council members serve as leaders of their respective teams for all department matters. The SAAC provides a channel to communicate with both conference and NCAA offices on matters regarding the student-athlete experience. SAAC conducts numerous philanthropic campaigns during the year including food and toy drives during the holiday season, mentoring at local elementary schools, and volunteering in the Sacramento community.
Health & Wellness
SAAC COUNCIL REPS
Ana Fernanda Loaiza
WOMEN'S TRACK & FIELD/XC
MEN'S TRACK & FIELD/XC
FOLLOW SAAC COUNCIL
SAAC Minutes - January 30th, 2017
1. Big Sky Video "What is SAAC?" Challenge Update:
- Due April 1st, 2017
- Waiting on guidelines from the Big Sky Conference
2. Mike Howe, District Marketing Manager of Federated Insurance, presentation
- Friday, February 17th - Professional Development info sessions in Athletics Center 2260 from 9:00am-4:00pm
3. MIND/GAME Film - Dr. Gloria Petruzzelli & Rebecca Mejia
- SAAC Screening for February 13th, 15th or 16th.
4. Small Council News - A small council has been created to help divide responsibilities and projects.
- Vice Presidents of Community Engagement: Chelsea Arnold and Caitlin Prothe
- Vice Presidents of Events: Savanna Coor and Max Jette
- Vice President of Hornet Pride: Alexxiss Diaz
- Vice Presidents of Student-Athlete Mental Health & Wellness: Alyssa Carthan and Kaylyn Evans
- Vice President of Professional Development: Nikki Gialketsis
5. Student-Athlete Career Night - Monday, April 3rd at 6:00pm
- SAAC members shared which career professionals they would like to have in attendance
6. Green & Golden Globes - Time Conflict
- If the ballroom cannot be reserved for a date when all sports teams can attend, then the Hornets Nest (gym) will suffice for May 1st, 2017 (TBD).
7. Men Who Ask - Sexual Violence and Bystander Intervention Program
- Will request workshop for SAAC group near March or April
8. Out of the Darkness Walk - April 6th at 5:30pm at WELL
9. SAAC Meeting times for Spring 2017 will alternate between Mondays and Tuesdays
Big Sky Toiletry Drive continues through May 2017
- Continue to collect and drop off toiletries to Bethany Crouch in the SARC or Dallas Smith in the Athletic Center
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT RESOURCES
HORNET CAREER CONNECTION
Hornet Career Connection is your free portal to Sacramento State career resources.
New Student Users please enter the following information when logging in to Hornet Career Connection:
STUDENT ID: Enter your STUDENT ID # (found on your OneCard)
CAREER CENTER EVENTS
STUDENT-ATHLETE WELL BEING
Managing an Athletic Injury Group
“The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That’s real glory.” –Vince Lombardi
For all D1 student-athletes managing an athletic injury. This confidential group will be a space to discuss and learn ways to cope with situations, such as disappointment from not being able to play, feeling like an outsider among your teammates, challenging rehabs, etc. that can occur when student-athletes are physically injured. This group also helps athletes maintain contact with other students who can relate as you recover from your injury. Other themes the group will address include:
- Change or Loss of Identity: Regardless of what sport, how much playing time you have received, or how well you performed, student-athletes devote the better part of their lives to their sport. When that is taken away, it can be a substantial loss from your life.
- Examine ways to find a greater sense of control and mastery which can help you progress in your recovery.
- Maintaining a positive attitude: Maximize the healing process by considering what you say to yourself and how you think about the injury.
Spring 2017 Meeting Information
February 10th - May 5th
Location: 2nd Floor of the Athletic Center (Room 2250)
*Sign up prior to join group is required.